Enough Bugs to Walk On, So I'm Sitting Out.

Niel Dilworth

Jan 18, 2019, 2:19:10 PM1/18/19
to Central Coast Open Water
Kudos to all of my Blue Water Task Force volunteers who got out to collect samples Thursday morning.  We documented extremely bad results in more locations at one time than I have ever seen.  Pismo Beach, Sewers (in the water) and Hazards had good numbers but all eight sites along SLO Creek and Avila Beach had samples that either exceeded the limits of the test with all wells on the tray lighting up or were one to three small wells below the maximum score. The Pismo Creek Estuary was dirty enough to rate significant attention but 2200 tends to fade into the background when compared to 24,000+.
No one should be in the ocean near a creek.
There was a 15,000 gallon sewage spill into Old Garden Creek, which drains into San Luis Obispo Creek, at 2:30 AM. Our samples were taken 4 to 5 hours later. At the volume that the creek was flowing it seems like it would have taken a short time to push the spill out to the ocean, but I do not have any basis for this seat of the pants estimate. Stan Rice, who samples our two Pismo sites, is a retired university biology professor and may have a more informed opinion.
We will have beautiful, sunny and dry weather to the end of next week so next Thursdays samples will show us how much the creeks can clean up in a week.
I'm sure staying out of the ocean this weekend.

Thanks again for all the BWTF volunteers for your efforts.

niel

Karen

Jan 18, 2019, 4:25:00 PM1/18/19
to centralcoa...@googlegroups.com
Thank you Niel and especially to the Blue Water 💦 Task Force. Sounds awful.

Karen

Sent from my iPhone

Heidi Bezaire

Jan 18, 2019, 4:34:12 PM1/18/19
to centralcoa...@googlegroups.com
Agreed - thank you Niel and Blue Water Task Force.  Your work is invaluable.

Heidi

Sue Cusick

Jan 18, 2019, 8:17:12 PM1/18/19
to centralcoa...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Niel- we kinda figured as much. Bummer!
Hope to swim with you all soon!!!!!! So nice to see the sun today!!
Have a great weekend!!

Sent from my iPhone