A Very Dirty Beach

Niel Dilworth

Mar 13, 2020, 11:50:40 PM3/13/20
to Central Coast Open Water
Samples from Thursday morning at Avila and the creek logged some very high numbers. We should get a additional rain through Sunday so I'm concerned about the water quality. If it stays dry for the next 36 hours it may be OK.

niel

Niel Dilworth

Mar 14, 2020, 10:17:59 PM3/14/20
to Central Coast Open Water
I'll not be swimming at Avila tomorrow. Winter has arrived and the creek has been very dirty. Low tide is at 10:30 ish tomorrow morning so the creek outflow will tend to hang along the beach.
I'm sitting this one out.

niel

Maria Taylor

Mar 14, 2020, 10:23:27 PM3/14/20
to centralcoa...@googlegroups.com
The tide, always turns.  See you soon, Niel.

Maria.  :)

Phil Costanzo

Mar 15, 2020, 6:17:19 PM3/15/20
to centralcoa...@googlegroups.com
Niel,

Thanks for sending updates out. When do you think the ocean water will
be good to swim in again? Will we need to wait for the rain to
completely stop?

Phil

Niel Dilworth

Mar 15, 2020, 6:23:55 PM3/15/20
to centralcoa...@googlegroups.com
Heavy rain predicted for Monday and Tuesday. If it talpers of after that Thursdays samples could be much improved with Sunday swimmable. Are you thinking of Avila or Santa Cruz? In Santa Cruz There is a large creek that enters the bay just east of the pier and will dirty up the water like SLO creek does at Avila. If the swim is in a location away from a creek or storm sewer the water should be fine.

TomL

Mar 16, 2020, 2:13:46 PM3/16/20
to Central Coast Open Water
It sure would be nice to have a back-up beach/ swim spot for the occasions (rare as they are) that we get shut out due to poor water quality...

What about Cayucos?  Or the Morro Strand or something like that?