Santa Cru z

Sylvia ooooo

Mar 10, 2019, 9:21:27 PM3/10/19
to centralcoa...@googlegroups.com

I have done this swim several time. It is usually the last weekend in July.  It is a relatively easy around the pier swim-maybe slightly over a mile.  It has never been as cold as 55 when I have done it.  It was high 50s or low 60s.  Wetsuit division but awards for it?  My concern has been water quality. A creek empties at the end of Cowell Beach that runs through a homeless encampment (or did). It has made the top 10 most polluted beaches in CA several times, so watching the water quality is important.  All in all I like this swim!  Sylvia Glenn

Heidi Bezaire

Mar 11, 2019, 3:01:35 AM3/11/19
to centralcoa...@googlegroups.com
Dave and I just watched this video - well done:

Y2K Santa Cruz Roughwater Swim and Pier to Pier (P2P)      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRL-7SdGUqg

-Heidi

On Mar 10, 2019, at 6:21 PM, Sylvia ooooo <swi...@hotmail.com> wrote:

I have done this swim several time. It is usually the last weekend in July.  It is a relatively easy around the pier swim-maybe slightly over a mile.  It has never been as cold as 55 when I have done it.  It was high 50s or low 60s.  Wetsuit division but awards for it?  My concern has been water quality. A creek empties at the end of Cowell Beach that runs through a homeless encampment (or did). It has made the top 10 most polluted beaches in CA several times, so watching the water quality is important.  All in all I like this swim!  Sylvia Glenn

Niel Dilworth

Mar 11, 2019, 4:34:27 PM3/11/19
to centralcoa...@googlegroups.com
Is that the 2 mile swim? I think that it is the next day, or the day before.

niel

Heidi Bezaire

Mar 11, 2019, 11:37:46 PM3/11/19
to 'Heidi Bezaire' via Central Coast Open Water

They filmed the 1 mile and the 10k:

Distance: 6.2 to 7 miles (depending on conditions and how well you navigate)

Course: Start Capitola Beach, swim S 2 miles (to a boat that marks the turn), swim WNW 3.7 miles (to the Santa Cruz Wharf), swim N .5 miles to Cowell Beach (west of the Santa Cruz Wharf).

I don’t know why they didn’t film the 2 mile, which is the day after the 1 mile.

Sylvia ooooo

Mar 11, 2019, 11:42:05 PM3/11/19
to centralcoa...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Heidi--I enjoyed the video.  I wondered too what happened to the 2 mile.  It goes on same coarse as I mile but loops back around the pier to the start.  (Old info)   Sylvia Glenn