Mobile app communication

Jedi

Aug 18, 2017, 11:53:58 AM8/18/17
to Central Iowa Java Users Group
Our group has been working on a couple mobile apps and a debate has rose to the front.

Should mobile apps be chatty with short requests and responses or try to accomplish more with less API calls?  Is that even a valid question?

Luke Amdor

Aug 18, 2017, 2:43:01 PM8/18/17
to Central Iowa Java Users Group
This is a hard question as mobile devices and networks have changed quite a bit in the last five years. Our previous criteria wasn't latency as that could be all over the place for users. The focus was on response processing since mobile CPUs weren't that powerful. So we focused a lot on gzip'd response,s caching with ETags and long polling for async processing.

Nowadays, mobile CPUs and mobile networks have gotten way better. Now it's becoming more of a complexity issue, phones are fast enough. As our applications' feature set has grown, the number of API endpoints that are requested on initial launch just keeps growing. So we've started investigating different options like GraphQL or moving away from a resource based API to something like http://philcalcado.com/2015/09/18/the_back_end_for_front_end_pattern_bff.html

Visit http://www.cijug.net for more information

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Central Iowa Java Users Group" group.