Celtic Daily Reading (March 15)

Celtic Daily

Mar 14, 2013, 7:02:42 PM3/14/13
to celtic...@googlegroups.com
15 March

Theme: Prayer changes things

+ In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit. Amen

Declaration of faith

To whom shall we go?
You have the words of eternal life,
and we have believed and have come to know
that You are the Holy One of God.

Praise to You, Lord Jesus Christ,
King of endless glory.

Psalm 111:
Praise the LORD. I will give thanks to the LORD with my whole heart, in
the company of the upright, in the congregation. (2) Great are the
works of the LORD, studied by all who have pleasure in them. (3) Full
of honor and majesty is his work, and his righteousness endures for
ever. (4) He has caused his wonderful works to be remembered; the LORD
is gracious and merciful. (5) He provides food for those who fear him;
he is ever mindful of his covenant. (6) He has shown his people the
power of his works, in giving them the heritage of the nations. (7)
The works of his hands are faithful and just; all his precepts are
trustworthy, (8) they are established for ever and ever, to be
performed with faithfulness and uprightness. (9) He sent redemption to
his people; he has commanded his covenant for ever. Holy and terrible is
his name! (10) The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom; a good
understanding have all those who practice it. His praise endures for ever!

Old Testament:2 Samuel 23:1-7
Now these are the last words of David: The oracle of David, the son of
Jesse, the oracle of the man who was raised on high, the anointed of the
God of Jacob, the sweet psalmist of Israel: (2) "The Spirit of the
LORD speaks by me, his word is upon my tongue. (3) The God of Israel
has spoken, the Rock of Israel has said to me: When one rules justly
over men, ruling in the fear of God, (4) he dawns on them like the
morning light, like the sun shining forth upon a cloudless morning, like
rain that makes grass to sprout from the earth. (5) Yea, does not my
house stand so with God? For he has made with me an everlasting
covenant, ordered in all things and secure. For will he not cause to
prosper all my help and my desire? (6) But godless men are all like
thorns that are thrown away; for they cannot be taken with the hand;
(7) but the man who touches them arms himself with iron and the shaft
of a spear, and they are utterly consumed with fire."

Meditation: And in a little while the same voice said to me, "See, your
ship is ready." But it wasn't close by, it was perhaps two hundred miles
away at a place I had never been to, nor did I know a single person
there. But I made up my mind to run away, and so I left the man with
whom I had spent the last six years. I went in the strength of the Lord
who guided me well, and I feared nothing up to the time I came to that
ship. -The Confession of Patrick.
New Testament: Acts 12:11-19
And Peter came to himself, and said, "Now I am sure that the Lord has
sent his angel and rescued me from the hand of Herod and from all that
the Jewish people were expecting." (12) When he realized this, he went
to the house of Mary, the mother of John whose other name was Mark,
where many were gathered together and were praying. (13) And when he
knocked at the door of the gateway, a maid named Rhoda came to answer.
(14) Recognizing Peter's voice, in her joy she did not open the gate
but ran in and told that Peter was standing at the gate. (15) They
said to her, "You are mad." But she insisted that it was so. They said,
"It is his angel!" (16) But Peter continued knocking; and when they
opened, they saw him and were amazed. (17) But motioning to them with
his hand to be silent, he described to them how the Lord had brought him
out of the prison. And he said, "Tell this to James and to the
brethren." Then he departed and went to another place. (18) Now when
day came, there was no small stir among the soldiers over what had
become of Peter. (19) And when Herod had sought for him and could not
find him, he examined the sentries and ordered that they should be put
to death. Then he went down from Judea to Caesare'a, and remained there.

Closing Prayer:
This day I call to me
God's strength to direct me, God's power to sustain me, God's wisdom to
guide me, God's vision to light me, God's ear to my hearing, God's word
to my speaking, God's hand to uphold me, God's pathway before me, God's
shield to protect me. - St Patrick's Breastplate.

Sent out at approximately midnight G.M.T.

RSS Feeds available at
http://groups.google.co.nz/group/celtic-daily/feeds?hl=en