Celtic Daily Reading (March 10)

Celtic Daily

Mar 9, 2013, 6:03:08 PM3/9/13
to celtic...@googlegroups.com
10 March

Feast Day: St. Failbhe the Little, St. Kessog of Lennox, St. Emilian of
Lagny, St. Attalas of Bobbio, St. Himelin of Vissenaeken

Theme: Simplicity

+ In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit. Amen

Declaration of faith

To whom shall we go?
You have the words of eternal life,
and we have believed and have come to know
that You are the Holy One of God.

Praise to You, Lord Jesus Christ,
King of endless glory.

Psalm 86:
A Prayer of David. Incline thy ear, O LORD, and answer me, for I am poor
and needy. Preserve my life, for I am godly; save thy servant who trusts
in thee. Thou art my God; be gracious to me, O Lord, for to thee do I
cry all the day. Gladden the soul of thy servant, for to thee, O Lord,
do I lift up my soul. For thou, O Lord, art good and forgiving,
abounding in steadfast love to all who call on thee. Give ear, O LORD,
to my prayer; hearken to my cry of supplication. In the day of my
trouble I call on thee, for thou dost answer me. There is none like thee
among the gods, O Lord, nor are there any works like thine. All the
nations thou hast made shall come and bow down before thee, O Lord, and
shall glorify thy name. For thou art great and doest wondrous things,
thou alone art God. Teach me thy way, O LORD, that I may walk in thy
truth; unite my heart to fear thy name. I give thanks to thee, O Lord my
God, with my whole heart, and I will glorify thy name for ever. For
great is thy steadfast love toward me; thou hast delivered my soul from
the depths of Sheol. O God, insolent men have risen up against me; a
band of ruthless men seek my life, and they do not set thee before them.
But thou, O Lord, art a God merciful and gracious, slow to anger and
abounding in steadfast love and faithfulness. Turn to me and take pity
on me; give thy strength to thy servant, and save the son of thy
handmaid. Show me a sign of thy favor, that those who hate me may see
and be put to shame because thou, LORD, hast helped me and comforted me.
Old Testament:2 Samuel 7:1-17
Now when the king dwelt in his house, and the LORD had given him rest
from all his enemies round about, the king said to Nathan the prophet,
"See now, I dwell in a house of cedar, but the ark of God dwells in a
tent." And Nathan said to the king, "Go, do all that is in your heart;
for the LORD is with you." But that same night the word of the LORD came
to Nathan, "Go and tell my servant David, 'Thus says the LORD: Would you
build me a house to dwell in? I have not dwelt in a house since the day
I brought up the people of Israel from Egypt to this day, but I have
been moving about in a tent for my dwelling. In all places where I have
moved with all the people of Israel, did I speak a word with any of the
judges of Israel, whom I commanded to shepherd my people Israel, saying,
"Why have you not built me a house of cedar?"' Now therefore thus you
shall say to my servant David, 'Thus says the LORD of hosts, I took you
from the pasture, from following the sheep, that you should be prince
over my people Israel; and I have been with you wherever you went, and
have cut off all your enemies from before you; and I will make for you a
great name, like the name of the great ones of the earth. And I will
appoint a place for my people Israel, and will plant them, that they may
dwell in their own place, and be disturbed no more; and violent men
shall afflict them no more, as formerly, from the time that I appointed
judges over my people Israel; and I will give you rest from all your
enemies. Moreover the LORD declares to you that the LORD will make you a
house. When your days are fulfilled and you lie down with your fathers,
I will raise up your offspring after you, who shall come forth from your
body, and I will establish his kingdom. He shall build a house for my
name, and I will establish the throne of his kingdom for ever. I will be
his father, and he shall be my son. When he commits iniquity, I will
chasten him with the rod of men, with the stripes of the sons of men;
but I will not take my steadfast love from him, as I took it from Saul,
whom I put away from before you. And your house and your kingdom shall
be made sure for ever before me; your throne shall be established for
ever.'" In accordance with all these words, and in accordance with all
this vision, Nathan spoke to David.
Meditation: 'Live simply that others may simply live'.

'A simple lifestyle means setting everything in the simple beauty of
creation. Our belongings, activities and relationships are ordered in a
way that liberates the spirit; we cut out those things that overload or
clutter the spirit. - From the Way of Life of the Community of Aidan
and Hilda.

New Testament: Hebrews 8 Now the point in what we are saying is this: we
have such a high priest, one who is seated at the right hand of the
throne of the Majesty in heaven, a minister in the sanctuary and the
true tent which is set up not by man but by the Lord. For every high
priest is appointed to offer gifts and sacrifices; hence it is necessary
for this priest also to have something to offer. Now if he were on
earth, he would not be a priest at all, since there are priests who
offer gifts according to the law. They serve a copy and shadow of the
heavenly sanctuary; for when Moses was about to erect the tent, he was
instructed by God, saying, "See that you make everything according to
the pattern which was shown you on the mountain." But as it is, Christ
has obtained a ministry which is as much more excellent than the old as
the covenant he mediates is better, since it is enacted on better
promises. For if that first covenant had been faultless, there would
have been no occasion for a second. For he finds fault with them when he
says: "The days will come, says the Lord, when I will establish a new
covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah; not like
the covenant that I made with their fathers on the day when I took them
by the hand to lead them out of the land of Egypt; for they did not
continue in my covenant, and so I paid no heed to them, says the Lord.
This is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after
those days, says the Lord: I will put my laws into their minds, and
write them on their hearts, and I will be their God, and they shall be
my people. And they shall not teach every one his fellow or every one
his brother, saying, 'Know the Lord,' for all shall know me, from the
least of them to the greatest. For I will be merciful toward their
iniquities, and I will remember their sins no more." In speaking of a
new covenant he treats the first as obsolete. And what is becoming
obsolete and growing old is ready to vanish away.
Closing Prayer:

Too long have I worried about so many things,
And yet, my Lord, so few are needed.
May I today live more simply - like the bread.
May I today see more clearly - like the water.
May I today be more selfless - like the Christ. -From Russia

Sent out at approximately midnight G.M.T.

RSS Feeds available at
http://groups.google.co.nz/group/celtic-daily/feeds?hl=en