Packaging up some cells for re-use

Mike Pence

Oct 8, 2013, 10:51:40 AM10/8/13
to cells-an...@googlegroups.com
Hey guys,

So I have some cells built for Twitter Bootstrap form elements, and I want to re-use them across projects, and maybe even open-source them. Has anyone thought about the best way to package up and share such cells?

Nick Sutterer

Oct 8, 2013, 2:22:15 PM10/8/13
to cells-an...@googlegroups.com
Hey Mike,

you can package those cells as Rails engines and put them in a gem!

Nick

--
Sie erhalten diese Nachricht, weil Sie Mitglied der Google Groups-Gruppe "Cells and Apotomo" sind.
Um Ihr Abonnement für diese Gruppe zu beenden und keine E-Mails mehr von dieser Gruppe zu erhalten, senden Sie eine Email an cells-and-apot...@googlegroups.com.

Mike Pence

Oct 8, 2013, 5:30:01 PM10/8/13
to cells-an...@googlegroups.com
Awesome, doing that now. My first open source project!

When I ran into simple_form and formtastic lagging on their Twitter Bootstrap thing, it got me thinking that Cells are a better approach, so I finally took the plunge of doing something non-trivial with Cells. The results have been fantastic, so I am putting them out there.

Kris Leech

Oct 9, 2013, 5:07:34 AM10/9/13
to cells-an...@googlegroups.com
Mike - this sounds like an interesting project, but I couldn't find any cells in the project accept a hello world. It would also be good to spelt out exactly what the engine gives you in the README + some examples of usage. Thanks for making this public!
I welcome VSRE emails. Learn more at http://vsre.info

Mike Pence

Oct 10, 2013, 8:17:05 AM10/10/13
to cells-an...@googlegroups.com
I will be pushing those out later today. Turns out that it is pretty darn easy to just publish an Engine as a gem, so this opens up a whole new world of re-use for me.

Will I Am Schive

Oct 10, 2013, 1:45:18 PM10/10/13
to cells-an...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mike ..

And, can you show code you are using, and point out the code you want to 'get rid of?'

I have a few apps with cells and widgets I built years ago ..
I struggled with them to learn them .. and watched them develop, with a zillion questions to Nick :)
I decided to not use them in my 'final' application,
  because of their lack of what I think you are going to be creating here in your new boostrap_cells gem.

That is why I am forking it, and watching it and ..
That is why I would Love to help you write the tutorial for

How to Set Up and Use Cells.

I offer to do so, so that I can learn cells anew as you go along in creating this gem, and make it easy for others to do so.

Cells are a brilliancy in the Ruby on Rails stack ..

Thank You for breathing life into cells so they are truly self-contained goodnesses, easy to wire up.

Are we still talking about : https://github.com/mikepence/bootstrap_cells as the working address ?

Cells Rock.
Widgets, too.

Thank You for doing this ..

Will I Am
an Autodidactic Rubyist on Rails

a worthy plug : Learn Ruby On Rails : a current KickStarter project by Daniel Kehoe

Expires 20131130

I have no financial interest in this project.
 I am an editor / proof-reader, and I expect it will be flawless.

Mike Pence

Oct 10, 2013, 1:48:23 PM10/10/13
to Will I Am Schive, cells-an...@googlegroups.com
I will post details of a new repository here, once it is available, in a day or two.

I have figured out how to have a form widget that contains field widgets, etc., all working with markup for Bootstrap. Thanks in advance for your support!

--
Mike Pence
Sarasota, FL

Mike Pence

Oct 10, 2013, 1:53:48 PM10/10/13
to cells-an...@googlegroups.com
--
Mike Pence
Sarasota, FL

Ian Neubert

Jan 29, 2014, 11:26:18 AM1/29/14
to cells-an...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mike, I realize it's been 3 months+ since you started this.

Your project sounds like what I've been looking for.. a way to create reusable bootstrap based elements/widgets.

Did you make any progress on this? Are you still using cells and/or apotomo? Did you find anything else that solves this re-use of widgets problem?

Nick Sutterer

Jan 29, 2014, 4:19:03 PM1/29/14
to cells-an...@googlegroups.com
Maybe we should create an example gem that shows how to package a widget into a Rails engine?

Um Ihr Abonnement für diese Gruppe zu beenden und keine E-Mails mehr von dieser Gruppe zu erhalten, senden Sie eine E-Mail an cells-and-apot...@googlegroups.com.
Weitere Optionen: https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out

Mike Pence

Jan 30, 2014, 9:49:27 AM1/30/14
to cells-an...@googlegroups.com
I have been using Cells within the projects I am working on, but have not published the components that make forms with Bootstrap to github yet. I could be convinced to. I know that I did the groundwork to figure out how to gemify and Rails Engine, but I have to say that I find engines to be an ugly abstraction. I wonder if just publishing Apotomo components and Cells as Rubygems might not be a better way to go.

Nick Sutterer

Jan 30, 2014, 4:18:35 PM1/30/14
to cells-an...@googlegroups.com
The only thing to to would be to add the view paths to the cell. That is an interesting idea, Mike!