After playing around with a quadcopter I decided to build a RC blimp. Now how about a android / ardunino controlled remote blimp. Ive got the bucks, but selftaught and dumb with the tech.

phearl3ss1

Jun 9, 2014, 11:04:51 AM6/9/14
to cell...@googlegroups.com
I guess the first thing is to select the phone.   I already have several arduninos and an xbee package that includes a couple adapters.   I have already had it flying with a basic rc radio but will be changing to brushless motors and instead of a rear rudder and elevator, I am thinking about testing a quadcopter design with motors and the corners along with two for thrust forward.    The blimp in about ten feet long a clear so when its done I can install LED lights and go out at night and let people claim to have seen a UFO hovering.   Since I am just getting started after being inspired by this website,  I would welcome the advise or ideas at this point.
CAM00364 (800x600).jpg

phearl3ss1

Jun 9, 2014, 11:20:53 AM6/9/14
to cell...@googlegroups.com

My goal is to use an android and its camera along with the ardunino on board the blimp and to communicate and receive commands from another phone.   And possibly use voice commands for control.    Why?   I have a ham license and a pilots license and I am an attorney, and right now as long as the FCC regs are not violated, there is almost no regulations yet.  YET.     How about a GOFUR,  a blimp that will fly to or from  the  drugstore delivering medication for someone who has difficulty moving around.   Search and rescue using the camera, or for taking pictures of events not viewer friendly. and maybe for following the cheating spouse.  You name it.  But right now the limit on both video and control is from the FCC but by using the cell, the limitations are eliminated  which would allow someone to fly anywhere there is cell service  or wifi.

spirit...@gmail.com

Jun 9, 2014, 11:42:28 AM6/9/14
to cellbots
There are FAA regs in place unfortunately. I have done this with a RC truck using the audio-serial system I developed, and it works well enough that I use it regularly to ship my products out via UPS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urs68vf7ZFY

Your best bet is to use a Propbridge, IOIO or audio-serial rather than bluetooth and xbee for communicating between the phone and the conttrol system; this for weight and power consumption reasons.

On Mon, Jun 9, 2014 at 8:20 AM, 'phearl3ss1' via Cellbots <cell...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

My goal is to use an android and its camera along with the ardunino on board the blimp and to communicate and receive commands from another phone.   And possibly use voice commands for control.    Why?   I have a ham license and a pilots license and I am an attorney, and right now as long as the FCC regs are not violated, there is almost no regulations yet.  YET.     How about a GOFUR,  a blimp that will fly to or from  the  drugstore delivering medication for someone who has difficulty moving around.   Search and rescue using the camera, or for taking pictures of events not viewer friendly. and maybe for following the cheating spouse.  You name it.  But right now the limit on both video and control is from the FCC but by using the cell, the limitations are eliminated  which would allow someone to fly anywhere there is cell service  or wifi.

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Cellbots" group.

phearl3ss1

Jun 9, 2014, 12:54:14 PM6/9/14
to cell...@googlegroups.com
Recently there was a court case after the FAA fined someone 10k for taking pictures for a commercial purpose over a University.

"In a David vs. Goliath battle that pitted the Federal Aviation Administration against the operator of a small model airplane, a federal administrative judge has sided with the aircraft's pilot.

The judge has dismissed a proposed $10,000 fine against businessman Raphael Pirker, who used a remotely operated 56-inch foam glider to take aerial video for an advertisement for the University of Virginia Medical Center.

The FAA alleged that since Pirker was using the aircraft for profit, he ran afoul of regulations requiring commercial operators of "Unmanned Aircraft Systems" -- sometimes called UAS or drones -- to obtain FAA authorization.

But a judge on Thursday agreed with Pirker that the FAA overreached by applying regulations for aircraft to model aircraft, and said no FAA rule prohibited Pirker's radio-controlled flight.

Thursday's ruling is believed to be the first to address the issue, but it was not immediately clear whether the FAA would appeal, or what impact it would have on others hoping to use drones for profit.

phearl3ss1

Jun 9, 2014, 1:36:29 PM6/9/14
to cell...@googlegroups.com
YOUR UPS bot,  are  you driving it from another phone or computer or does it run by an autopilot?   I am just reading about the YOUO board now.  I like the number of pins on the board.   I want to be able to do both,  use google maps and the gps and fly by automatic pilot to the destination, or  control remotely.   As for the FAA,  first my flights wont be for a commercial purpose, rather midlife crisis cure.   Second, below 400 feet is uncontrolled except within the area around certain airports.  But uncontrolled airports have  ultralights and parachuters.  I doubt you need a commercial license to strap someone to your parachute and jump as you teach them how to sky dive.   Third, cities, counties, and schools have been banning remote control aircrafts from parks or property, along with Frisbees and arrows for years thus showing the FAA has never had control over all airspace and has been up to each jurisdiction how to regulate  flight not for transportation of people.     Congress never intended the FAA to regulate everything that flies but that's not to say they wont.

spirit...@gmail.com

Jun 9, 2014, 1:52:29 PM6/9/14
to cellbots
I make and sell the Propbridge, which is basically a IOIO board but better (it has 8 processors on it, for example, and all pins can be configured for i2c or serial). The truckbot can be operated semiautonomously or by direct control; see the video linked to what the interface looks like. I've been doing Android robotics since late 2009 :)
Message has been deleted