Cedar tests target exits abnormally when running from command line after Xcode and system updates

Constantin Lungu

Jul 13, 2015, 10:56:11 AM7/13/15
to cedar-...@googlegroups.com
After I've updated Xcode to 6.4 and Yosemite to 10.10.4, I started receiving these messages when running unit tests from the command line:

Application 'UIKitApplication:com.bundle.specs' exited abnormally with exit status 1
Unable to deliver -[UIRemoteApplication showTopMostMiniAlertWithSynchronizationPort:] message to port 0: (ipc/send) invalid destination port

Although, this does not happen when I run the unit tests from Xcode. Does anyone have a solution to this or is this a known issue?

Thanks.

Constantin Lungu

Jul 13, 2015, 11:13:21 AM7/13/15
to cedar-...@googlegroups.com
Also, sometimes it exits without exit status 1, and the output is "Application exited voluntarily". But I do not get to see the "N examples, M failures" output, which I need to grep.

Jasper Blues

Jul 13, 2015, 7:37:21 PM7/13/15
to cedar-...@googlegroups.com
I believe that this is an underlying issue with XCTest - it could be difficult to work around.

On Jul 13, 2015, at 11:13 PM, Constantin Lungu <koc...@gmail.com> wrote:

Also, sometimes it exits without exit status 1, and the output is "Application exited voluntarily". But I do not get to see the "N examples, M failures" output, which I need to grep.

tjar...@pivotal.io

Jul 17, 2015, 12:23:02 PM7/17/15
to cedar-...@googlegroups.com
Hey Constantin, how are you invoking your tests? Are you using the standard "xcodebuild -scheme $SCHEME -target $TARGET build test" action? Based on your note about not seeing the "N examples, M failures" output, it sounds like might be using a spec suite, rather than a test bundle.

By chance, are you testing anything related to background queues? I happened across this Stack Overflow question while trying to gain some context on this failure.

Can you tell if this only occurs when the tests would fail? I have a suspicion this might have something to do with how cedar's symbolication works (based on other similar Google results for "showTopMostMiniAlertWithSynchronizationPort").

@jb -- any info you can share on how this might be an XCTest issue? I'd love to be able to dig further into this.

Constantin Lungu

Jul 27, 2015, 10:03:38 AM7/27/15
to Cedar Discussion, tjar...@pivotal.io
Hey! Yes, indeed I'm using a spec suite and invoking it using the boilerplate Rakefile provided by Cedar, building the tests scheme and then running it using ios-sim, then grepping the output.

Constantin Lungu

Jul 27, 2015, 10:42:09 AM7/27/15
to Cedar Discussion, tjar...@pivotal.io, koc...@gmail.com
I would love to verify this with a test bundle, but I have some trouble with the cedar xcode plugin, and I can't create one, since they aren't listed in target templates.

Constantin Lungu

Jul 27, 2015, 10:59:13 AM7/27/15
to Cedar Discussion, tjar...@pivotal.io, koc...@gmail.com
As for the testing background queues, my spec suite does not have tests for those. These problems appeared after I've updated Xcode to 6.4, since my specs haven't changed sine