ARC Errors when trying to compile a spec file

da...@puteko.com

Nov 28, 2014, 11:06:45 PM11/28/14
to cedar-...@googlegroups.com
I am having difficulties getting Cedar tests installed and working. I am running OS X Yosemite with Xcode 6. After finally getting the file imports to work correctly, I am now getting about a dozen error messages when I try to run my spec suite that complain:

ARC forbids explicit send of autorelease

And other similar messages. It is obvious that the Cedar files are trying to use some pre-arc commands and my project is set to use ARC. Do I need to selectively disable ARC for this target? What is the workaround?

Thanks in advance.

-D
Screen Shot 2014-11-29 at 1.04.46 PM.png

jhui

Dec 1, 2014, 6:58:33 PM12/1/14
to cedar-...@googlegroups.com, da...@puteko.com
Hey David,

How did you install Cedar? Did you link against the cedar static library?

It seems like the `CedarSpecSuite` target is including cedar's source directly.

- Jeff

Andrew Kitchen

Dec 2, 2014, 1:42:11 AM12/2/14
to cedar-...@googlegroups.com
The easiest thing is to follow one of the installation strategies outlined in the wiki: https://github.com/pivotal/cedar/wiki/Installation

Adding the cedar source directly to your own targets is also possible (as seems to be the case in the screenshot) but you will need to add -fno-objc-arc to many of the source files' compiler flags list in the containing target's "compile sources" build phase.

The nice thing about using cocoapods or a cross-project dependency is that these per-file settings are better contained and you don't need to deal with them directly unless you want to.