Last call - Free online course in sound and audio

Barry Truax

Apr 23, 2022, 5:16:57 AM4/23/22
to cec-con...@googlegroups.com, acoustic-ecology (acoustic-ecology@sfu.ca)

Following two very successful previous versions of this course, I am offering to mentor another group of participants in a 12 week online course in sound and audio, starting May 12 and going to July 28.

We will be systematically going through the Tutorial associated with the Handbook for Acoustic Ecology located on the WSP Database, and covering two modules most weeks, one in acoustics, the other in electroacoustics. We’ll meet once a week on Zoom for 2-1/2 hours to discuss these topics, scheduled for 10:30 am – 1 pm Pacific Daylight Time on Thursdays.

This course will be useful as professional development to those wanting to teach sound and audio, as well as graduate students and others who would like to broaden their knowledge across multiple disciplines. If anyone wants to take the course for academic credit, they need to set this up at their own institution.

The particular strengths (and challenges) of the Tutorial are the parallel modules in acoustics and electroacoustics that emphasize their often ignored links. I would expect participants to be more experienced in one or the other areas, but this course should allow for imbalances in knowledge to be addressed.

The Tutorial and Handbook files will be downloaded by each individual for ease of access. The preferred browsers are Safari and Firefox (those with the Catalina OS and Chrome are likely to encounter problems). Additional software for experimentation will be made available.

The meeting time will be Thursday morning at 10:30 Pacific time, for North and South Americans, which will be the evening for those in Europe. Unfortunately, it’s doubtful that participants from other parts of the world would be able to participate as easily given the time differences; however, a Pacific Rim version with Susan Frykberg (who is based in Australia/NewZealand) may be available and will involve a modest fee (contact sfry...@gmail.com) if you are interested.

Those interested who have the time (I estimate you will need a minimum of 8 hours a week for study, apart from whatever time would be spent with the personal listening and studio experiments), please contact me at tr...@sfu.ca, also if you have any questions or would like to view the Tutorial in advance, which I recommend.

Barry Truax

Professor Emeritus

Simon Fraser University