SPR Call for Submissions - School Psychology Futures Conference - Special Topic Section

Shane Jimerson

Jun 18, 2024, 9:39:05 AMJun 18
to Shane Jimerson
Dear Colleagues, (please forward to share widely with students, alumni, practitioners, faculty colleagues)

Please share the Call for Submissions for the SPR special topic section focusing on the topics of the School Psychology Futures Conference.

We encourage and welcome submissions from all for this SPR special topic section. We are encouraging students, practitioners, policy makers, faculty, and all colleagues to consider submitting papers.

School Psychology Futures Conference Advancing Preparation, Practice, and Scholarship: Reimagining Student Success

Guest Editors: Samuel Y. Song, Tammy L. Hughes, Pam Fenning, Enedina García Vázquez & Kisha Radliff

The school psychology “Futures Conference” is a decennial event sponsored by the collective of school psychology professional organizations dedicated to improving life outcomes for children, youth, and families across the globe. This special topic section will highlight themes featured in the Futures Conference 2023-2024 webinars, presentations, meetings and discussions (see pillars 1-6 below). School psychologists are well-trained mental health professionals in schools with comprehensive skill sets (NASP, 2020). School psychologists promote the adoption of research-based practices delivered through a culturally sensitive and ecologically informed lens to promote optimal outcomes in education and social-emotional well-being. School psychologists must be committed to promoting equity, dismantling long-standing systems of oppression, and maximizing mental wellbeing. The Future of School Psychology is socially responsive and addresses the impact of health, socioemotional  and educational disparities on children and youth. Specifically, school psychologist’s work to mitigate systemic and structural inequities, which are present in all social structures, including social determinants of health, such as racism and ableism which cuts across educational, health/mental health, housing/neighborhoods, employment, criminal justice, violence exposure, law, and environmental spaces (Healthy People, 2030). To reduce the vast and increasing disparities in our society school psychologists  promote anti-oppressive education, mental health, and wellness practices, policy and advocacy. They support a foundation of equitable, effective and comprehensive school psychology practices. School psychologists understand that promotion and prevention is more effective and less costly than later intervention. The vision of the 2023-2024 Futures Conference is that the field of school psychology becomes a more visible, necessary, and relevant force driving equitable and liberatory mental health, education and culturally affirming schools for all children and families.

Areas that the papers might address include, but are not limited to:

      Literature reviews, empirical research, or conceptual papers focused on at least one of the 6 Future’s Conference Pillars (see below).

      Pillar #1 Leadership – Definition: Exploring, expanding, and facilitating leadership skills in providing local, state, national, and international services.

      Pillar #2 Science and Scholarship - Definition: Maintaining the breadth and depth of school psychology knowledge base and expertise.

      Pillar #3 Practice - Definition: Engaging in culturally responsive and socially just practices to promote equity.

      Pillar #4 Education & Lifelong Learning - Definition: Providing educational experiences at the graduate and continuing professional development level to develop and advance the knowledge, skills, and dispositions to effectively service diverse youth.

      Pillar #5 Workforce Development - Definition: Increasing, maintaining, and advocating for a well-trained and diverse school psychology workforce.

      Pillar #6 Advocacy - Definition: Facilitating systems change to promote equity and access to education and mental health care.

A variety of scholarly manuscript types are sought including, but not limited to: qualitative, quantitative, and mixed methods investigations; systematic research reviews; data-based policy papers, and conceptual papers. Papers presenting empirical evidence and making unique scholarly contributions  to one or more of the 6 Futures’ Conference Pillars described above will be given priority. Each submission will be processed through triple-anonymous peer-review to determine whether the manuscript is suitable for publication in the journal. The initial deadline for the receipt of submissions is October 1, 2024.

Email SPR Editor-Elect Shane Jimerson - Jime...@ucsb.edu

--
Shane R. Jimerson, Ph.D., NCSP
Professor

President-Emeritus, the Society for the Study of School Psychology
President-Emeritus, the International School Psychology Association
President-Emeritus, Division 16 School Psychology of APA
Editor Emeritus, School Psychology journal, published by APA
Editor, School Psychology Review,Twitter Facebook published by NASP

CCSP Vision - Innovations for Excellence and Equity in Counseling, Clinical, and School Psychology.

"I am unable to make the days longer, so I strive to make them better."
-Thoreau
SPR Special Topic SP FUTURES call for papers.pdf

Shane Jimerson

Jun 19, 2024, 11:01:04 AMJun 19
to Shane Jimerson
See ZOOM session announcement below, please forward to students, faculty, practitioners and other colleagues to encourage participation.

Tuesday, June 25th, 8am pacific / 11am eastern. Please use this link to add to your calendar and access zoom.

Sincerely,
Shane Jimerson