Scraping the CDLI Website

Cuneiform Digital Library Initiative - General

Feb 25, 2023, 5:02:43 AM2/25/23
to Cuneiform Digital Library Initiative - General
Dear colleagues and friends,

If you are like me and getting up early in the morning in order to get some work done before the rest of the world wakes up,  you might have been surprised by an error message and the impossibility to access cdli search and information about artifacts this morning.

Someone decided to use a script to rapidly collect information from the CDLI site using their own means instead of using the API client we provide. This brought the website down.

If you or any of your students or colleagues have any data needs and are unable to fulfill them with the mean we put at your disposal, please contact us directly and we will happily support you.

Unfortunately, we do not have time to deal with issues like these. Consequently, on a first offense the IP gets blocked, and on a second offense the full IP range gets blocked. Unblocking an IP or range requires the provider of said IP(s) to reach out, offering a guarantee that this will not happen again. Scraping the CDLI website carelessly might thus prevent you or your local community from accessing CDLI in order for us to keep the website running for all other users.

All best,
Émilie

Émilie Pagé-Perron
Junior Research Fellow, Wolfson College
Co-director of the Cuneiform Digital Library Initiative
Technical issue with cdli? cdli-s...@ames.ox.ac.uk
General or content question about cdli? cd...@ames.ox.ac.uk