UChicago Library expands access to banned books amid national debate over censorship

David K. Larsen

Oct 4, 2023, 5:17:50 PM10/4/23
to cdl-impl...@googlegroups.com

All,

This isn’t quite an implementation of CDL, but I thought I’d share that “the UChicago Library plans to fund online access to banned ebooks for all Illinois residents for at least a year through DPLA’s recently launched Banned Book Club on the Palace e-reader app.”  For more information, see this link:

https://www.lib.uchicago.edu/about/news/uchicago-library-expands-access-to-banned-books-amid-national-debate-over-censorship/

Here is more information on the DPLA Banned Book Club:  https://dp.la/news/dpla-launches-the-banned-book-club-to-ensure-access-to-banned-books

Although the content is licensed, it is an example of working with publishers to expand access to the exact books that have been banned in a location using GPS-based geo-targeting.  While Illinois has banned book banning, this same technology is being used to provide access to all those within Illinois to material banned elsewhere.

Best,

David

--

David K. Larsen