Meeting - NEW LOCATION - April 15th, 2010 @ 5:30PM

Dan Patsey

Apr 1, 2010, 10:36:06 PM4/1/10
to Capital District Java Developer's Network
April 15th, 2010 @ 5:30PM

PLEASE TAKE NOTE OF THE NEW LOCATION:
ITT Tech, 13 Airline Drive, Albany, NY 12205

Simply reply to this message to RSVP.

Agenda:
5:30 - 6:00 - Food/Network
6:00 - Intro/Sponsor
6:00 - 8:00 - Presentation & Break
8:00 - Close

Presentation
Mark Menard - JRuby & Java - Part 2 of Mark's JRuby series. Mark will
demonstrate adding JRuby & Rails to an existing Java project as well
as hosting a discussion on testing.

About the Presenters:
Mark Menard is the owner and operator of Vita Rara, Inc. a boutique
consulting and software vendor in New York's Tech Valley. I have been
involved in software development for far too long. (I started on punch
cards on the MTS system at RPI in my pre-teens.) In recent years I
have been working extensively with dynamic languages (Groovy, Ruby,
Javascript and Lisp) after many years of working with Java almost
exclusively.

Thankyou to our Sponsors:
- ExpInfo
- TekSystems
- Linium
- Capital Tech Search
- Troy Web Consulting
- AutoMate

Click on http://groups.google.com/group/cdjdn/web/meeting---new-location---april-15th-2010--5-30pm?hl=en_US
- or copy & paste it into your browser's address bar if that doesn't
work.

Dan Patsey

Apr 12, 2010, 1:46:49 PM4/12/10
to Capital District Java Developer's Network

Dan Patsey

Apr 19, 2010, 11:46:42 AM4/19/10
to Capital District Java Developer's Network
Some resources and comments courtesy Mark Menard:

Tech Valley Ruby Brigade:

We're a very friendly and informal group. We meet the fourth Wednesday
of
the month. We meet at Celery in Troy, NY (212 River Street
Troy, NY 12180). We start to gather around 5:30 and are usually done
by 8-9
or so. We have beer. :)

http://www.techvalleyrb.org/

Web resources:

JRuby: http://www.jruby.org/

JRuby Wiki: http://kenai.com/projects/jruby/pages/Home

120 SECONDS GUIDE TO JRUBY ON RAILS:
http://blog.emptyway.com/2008/04/08/120-seconds-guide-to-jruby-on-rails/

Deploying a Rails application in Tomcat with JRuby:
http://thenice.tumblr.com/post/133345213/deploying-a-rails-application-in-to
mcat-with-jruby-a

Some books:

Programming Ruby by Dave Thomas - Known as the Pick Ax book, this is a
must
have for any serious developer.

The Ruby Way by Hal Fulton - Chapter 11 OOP and Dynamic Features in
Ruby is
probably the most important chapter written on Ruby's more advanced
features.

Agile Web Development with Rails by Dave Thomas and DHH - This is a
great
introduction to Rails. The fourth edition is now in beta available
through
the Pragmatic Programmers website in DRM free formats.

The Rails Way by Obie Fernandez - Probably the best and most
comprehensive
work on Rails. This is the go to reference I use regularly. We have
multiple
copies in the office.

Rails for Java Developers by Stuart Halloway - I have not read this
one, but
it is specifically targeted at the folks making the transition from
Java to
Rails.