Carmaggedon

Chad Catacchio

Jul 15, 2011, 7:17:43 PM7/15/11
to Crisis Camp Southern California
All,

Captain Parker of the LA Sheriff's Department has asked if we could
virtually mobilize this weekend to help LA County monitor social media
around the 405 shutdown, i.e. Carmaggedon. I have told him that we
will do our best to be at his disposal, but that specific tasks/topics
to monitor would be helpful (and that we do not want to try to take
the place of 911 and/or LA's sophisticated traffic monitoring
systems). If you have some time this weekend, I think it would be
great to perhaps put together a schedule where one or two of us can be
monitoring at a time to cover as much of the weekend as possible. If
you are interested, please reply here (and feel free to share this
email).

Best Regards,
Chad Catacchio
CrisisCamp SoCal organizer

Chad Catacchio

Jul 15, 2011, 8:41:48 PM7/15/11
to crisis...@googlegroups.com, ccha...@googlegroups.com, ccs...@googlegroups.com
Ok, just got off the phone with Captain Parker. Here's what he'd like us to do:

So basically, he would like us to do the following, with a focus on Twitter (but Flickr could be very helpful as well):
  1. Bring emerging trends on Twitter (especially negative ones) to the attention of LA officials using the hashtag #405official and/or sending a tweet to @i_405
  2. Direct people with general questions to the websites listed below
  3. If anyone needs assistance and/or has something to report to officials, direct them to call 911 (which a standard procedure we should all follow here in the US) - 911 is infinitely better set up to manage these requests - it's what it is designed to do.
Websites to direct people to:

Also, thanks to Alan Glennon at UCSB, we are also archiving all geo-tagged tweets for the weekend around a number of keywords related to the closure, which we plan to use for data analysis after this weekend.

If you are interested in helping out this weekend (we will be doing everything virtually) please join the CrisisCampSoCal Google Group http://groups.google.com/group/ccsocal , our FB page https://www.facebook.com/pages/CrisisCamp-SoCal/431837135577 and/or friend me on Skype (chadcat) and I'll add you into the CrisisCommons Skype chatroom. Please also follow @CrisisCampSoCal

Also, if you have space in your tweets, please add the hashtag #CCSoCal

Please email me directly if you have any questions.

Thanks,
Chad

On Fri, Jul 15, 2011 at 4:18 PM, Chad Catacchio <chadca...@gmail.com> wrote:
If you are interested in helping out with our little traffic problem here in LA this weekend....

Chad Catacchio

Jul 16, 2011, 12:02:09 PM7/16/11
to ccha...@googlegroups.com, ccs...@googlegroups.com
Just an update on Carmaggedon:

We will continue to monitor the social media stream to help direct people to official sources, watch for multiple reports of issues and generally help spread official updates from the LASD, LAFD, Mayor's office and the @I_405 Twitter account.

If you have any questions about how to help, please just email the group.

Best,
Chad

Chad Catacchio

Jul 16, 2011, 12:45:48 PM7/16/11
to ccha...@googlegroups.com, ccs...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

One thing that I (and the LA Times) are noticing is that people are complaining about helicopters making too much noise - so if you're looking for something to monitor - right now, that's a good start.

Chad