From: Heather Blanchard <hea...@crisiscommons.org>
Date: Wed, Apr 27, 2011 at 2:28 PM
Subject: [CrisisCommons] Update on the Social Media + Disasters Hearing - Contribute Your Thoughts
To: crisis...@googlegroups.com, sm...@googlegroups.com, crisismappers <crisis...@googlegroups.com>

Just updated the webpage - more details from the committee. Hope you share your thoughts!

http://crisiscommons.org/2011/04/25/hill/

Updated 4/27/2011: We received the official letter and the Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee released the hearing notice. Follow some of these great folks like Craig Fugate, FEMA AdministratorAnn CurryNBC News AnchorRenee Preslar from Arkansas Emergency ManagementSuzy DeFrancis of the American Red Cross and Shona Brown, Vice President at Google.

Here’s the official letter we received:

Dear Ms. Blanchard:

We are contacting you to extend an invitation to testify before the Ad Hoc Subcommittee on Disaster Recovery and Intergovernmental Affairs at a hearing entitled, “ Understanding the Power of Social Media as a Communication Tool in the Aftermath of Disasters.” The hearing will be held on Thursday, May 5, 2011 at 10AM in room 342 of the Dirksen Senate Office Building.

The purpose of this hearing is to explore ways the Federal government can work with social media companies to collect and distribute critical information in the wake of disasters.

Over the past five years, the use of social media has increased dramatically. The use of social media to post real-time video and photographic footage, updates on individuals whereabouts and conditions, and firsthand commentary on the impact of a given disaster are all examples how these tools are establishing a completely new form of global communication.

We ask that your testimony discuss ways the CrisisCommons and other nongovernmental organizations use social media to fully utilize and distribute critical information. We also ask that your testimony assess the Federal government’s role in facilitating these partnerships and what can be done to better utilize public sector’s tools.

Please discuss your organizations social media tools, collaboration with emergency management organizations and how your organization uses these outlets to provide assistance during disasters.

Senator Mark Pryor, Chairman
Senator John Ensign, Ranking Member
Ad Hoc Subcommittee
Disaster Recovery and Intergovernmental Affairs

CrisisCommons seeks public input into the development of testimony to present on May 5th and the subsequent Statement of the Record.  A few days ago we launched an appeal for your thoughts, research, ideas. We hope that you will contribute below:

—>>Just click here to provide your thoughts! <<—

Content must be received no later than April 30th at 5pm EST.

For those who are in the Washington DC area, we would love it if you came to the hearing! Get there early to be sure to get a seat. Let us know you are there by using #crisiscommons as a hashtag.

If you have any questions about this hearing or would like to get in touch with Heather Blanchard, email her directly at hea...@crisiscommons.org

回覆所有人
回覆作者
轉寄