Fwd: You're Invited: AWS Underrepresented in Tech Event -- Wed May 31st, 4:30-9:30pm

Katherine

May 17, 2017, 3:28:55 PM5/17/17
to ccs...@googlegroups.com, ccsf-h...@googlegroups.com, ccsf...@googlegroups.com, craig....@mail.ccsf.edu
"Underrepresented in Tech" for this event seems to be considering race, not class or gender.

On Tuesday, May 16, 2017 at 5:15:56 PM UTC-7, Craig A. Persiko wrote:
This looks like a good event for our students...

(Thanks David)

From: Amazon Web Services <aws-marketing-email-replies@amazon.com>
Date: May 16, 2017 at 8:13:02 AM PDT
To: davidal...@gmail.com

You're invited to our AWS Underrepresented in Tech Event

Diversity Day.png

Join us in San Francisco!
Register for AWS Underrepresented in Tech

Date: Wednesday, May 31st
Time: 4:30 - 9:30 PM PT
Location: The Fairmont, 950 Mason St, San Francisco, CA 94108 (view map)

Join us to share stories with like-minded technology professionals, and learn about the resources available to help navigate the challenges for underrepresented groups in the tech industry. All are welcome.

At this event we will discuss ideas to improve the racial digital divide and network with other like-minded professionals over food & drinks. AWS hands-on workshops will also be provided for those who want to improve their cloud computing skills.

You can learn more about the event here. If you have any additional questions, please email us.

AGENDA
  • 4:30 - 5:30 PM: Intros & AWS Overview
  • 5:30 - 6:45 PM: Panel Discussion: Bridging the Racial Digital Divide
  • 6:45 - 8:30 PM: Amazon Web Services Hands-On Workshop
  • 6:45 - 9:30 PM: Networking & Happy Hour
We hope you enjoyed this email. If you'd rather not receive future emails from Amazon Web Services, unsubscribe here.
Amazon Web Services, Inc. is a subsidiary of Amazon.com, Inc. Amazon.com is a registered trademark of Amazon.com.
This message was produced and distributed by Amazon Web Services, Inc., 410 Terry Ave. North, Seattle, WA 98109.
© 2017, Amazon Web Services, Inc. or its affiliates. All rights reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

--
Craig Persiko
Computer Science Department Chair

Craig A. Persiko

May 17, 2017, 3:56:55 PM5/17/17
to Katherine, CCSF-Hacking, ccs...@googlegroups.com, ccsf...@googlegroups.com
I saw that phrasing, but I'm not sure how to take it.  They must realize the obvious, that women are are underrepresented in tech.  I wouldn't let that line stop you from going.  But I will raise the question with them.

Katherine M.

May 17, 2017, 4:52:13 PM5/17/17
to CCSF-Hacking, ccs...@googlegroups.com, ccsf...@googlegroups.com
Just pointed that out since they are having a 45min panel discussion on "Bridging the Racial Digital Divide" so seemed like a targeted event.  However, everyone needs to be part of that conversation, since we're all involved in addressing it, so I could see the wider audience.

The 1hr 45min "Amazon Web Services Hands-On Workshop" definitely would be valuable for all.

For Artem: there's nothing wrong with the event -- that hands-on AWS workshop will be really great.  We're just trying to discern who the event organizers intend to invite.

Craig A. Persiko

May 18, 2017, 1:10:11 PM5/18/17
to ccs...@googlegroups.com, ccsf...@googlegroups.com, CCSF-Hacking
I have some more info on this event (my question is below the response) :

Hi Craig – great question.

The event is intended for all underrepresented groups in tech (and for anyone who has an interested in an inclusive tech workforce).  During the panel discussion there will be some discussion that is specific to underrepresented racial groups, but the event is definitely open to all & the workshop + networking is going to be a mix of like-minded professionals from all backgrounds/classes, who are interested in diversity in tech.  We did a similar event in Seattle and I would say we had an extremely mixed group of attendees, men and women from various backgrounds and underrepresented groups.

Thanks,

AWS Community Team