will CS/CNIT student clubs be hosting the Peer Advising Sessions before Drop / Add deadlines (likely next week Tue/Wed or Wed/Thu)???

Katherine

Aug 25, 2017, 6:38:32 PM8/25/17
to CCSF Coders, ccsf-h...@googlegroups.com, ccs...@googlegroups.com, wwc-...@googlegroups.com, ccsf...@googlegroups.com, craig....@mail.ccsf.edu, sam....@gmail.com
Hey,

Will the CS clubs be hosting the "Peer Advising" sessions before the Drop (Fri 9/1) + Add (Fri 9/8) deadlines as they have in the past, so that folks can talk about classes / professors while they have some time to change their schedule?

Typically this would be held either Tue/Wed or Wed/Thu at 4-6pm or 4:30-6:30 or 5-7 to catch both the day & evening students.  Usually in BATL 451 as it's the largest space.

In my opinion definitely the best "community service" that the clubs provide for the wider body of CS / CNIT students.

The faculty advisors probably have access to money to pay for pizza & drinks (to increase attendance).

Regards,

Katherine

p.s. Definitely need students to volunteer to be "advisors" -- really if you've taken any CS or CNIT (or VMD or ENGR or MATH or ...) classes at CCSF, you have an opinion about:
  • what these classes really cover
  • different professors' teaching style, expectations, volume of work, etc
  • the real prerequisites for the classes (what background students should have to be most successful & to get the most out of the class)
...and especially need students from all the disciples.

p.p.s. Here's my personal write-up on CS classes at CCSF:

Alan Martinez

Aug 25, 2017, 7:25:23 PM8/25/17
to Katherine, CCSF Coders, CCSF Hacking, CCSF LUG, wwc-...@googlegroups.com, ccsf...@googlegroups.com, Craig A. Persiko, sam....@gmail.com
If I remember correctly, last years Peer Advising Session was not recognized as a service to fulfill the required service hours for the semester.  I could be wrong.

But if it is recognized this should be held because it will knock out most if not all of the hours the club is required to do.

I was not available to help with the Peer Advising last time so I don't know all of the details.  Can someone that was there for Spring 2017 chime in?

--
CCSF Coders club website: www.ccsf.edu/coders
---

Katherine

Aug 26, 2017, 7:30:18 PM8/26/17
to CCSF Coders, ccsf-h...@googlegroups.com, ccs...@googlegroups.com, wwc-...@googlegroups.com, ccsf...@googlegroups.com, craig....@mail.ccsf.edu, sam....@gmail.com
> If I remember correctly, last years Peer Advising Session was not recognized as a service to fulfill the required service hours for the semester.  I could be wrong.
> But if it is recognized this should be held because it will knock out most if not all of the hours the club is required to do.

For several semester, it did count towards the ICC-required service hours for all the clubs.  However, even if it didn't, I think it can be a good "community service" for the larger body of CS/CNIT students:
  • I've seen in the past that many classes didn't assign the first homework assignment until after the Drop/Add deadlines, and only then would students see that there didn't really have the background to successfully complete the assignment...and then drop the class without getting the full refund that would otherwise have gotten.
  • Also, many students aren't aware of all the classes they should take in other departments...the UX/UI classes in the Visual Media department, Sam Bowne's security classes in the CNIT department, the audio & video for web classes in the BEMA department, etc.
  • The opportunities around the Bay Area which are not to be missed...Meetup.com, the AWS Pop-up Loft, the free CodePath bootcamps that students have organized for themselves in past semesters + the great network that is CodePath, etc

> I just remember that Spring 2017's peer advising session had very few people

Like any event, it needs to be promoted -- and it's quite easy to promote. This year, if it were Wed 9/30 + Thu 9/31 4:30-6:30pm, then:
...if an email is sent to all the CS/CNIT faculty to announce Peer Advising by Sunday, requesting that they announce to their classes on Mon + Tue, and the announcement gets written on all the whiteboards mentioned in the "how to publicize events at CCSF" link above, then it's all set.

The final reasons for the Peer Advising sessions are the event helps students find all the clubs:
...and the student clubs get the required 12+ student ID numbers they need for their ICC paperwork, to renew the clubs' official status, which allows the clubs to get either $200 or $100 (which usually is used for food at meetings...which increases attendance).

In my opinion (as a founding member & someone who has been involved for several semesters), I think all the clubs should at a minimum do both the Peer Advising Sessions & Unity Day (required by ICC), and then can do whatever else the current membership wants that semester.  Peer Advising just serves the CS/CNIT students & clubs on so many levels, and is so easy to do (probably 4-8hrs of work vs 40hrs of work for workshop events vs many more hrs of work for student lead subgroups or bootcamps).

If I could help this semester, I would, but I can't, so I'm hoping the current officers will make this happen.  It's still do-able, folks just need to decide & take action by Sunday.

My $0.02,

Katherine