Fwd: Municipal electricity aggregation referendum

Andy Robinson

Feb 28, 2012, 6:57:48 PM2/28/12
to ccnet-renew...@googlegroups.com
Renewable energy fans,
The Champaign city council is having a study session tonight at 7 with public input on the possibility of including renewables in their bids for electricity aggregation.
Note that the upcoming referendum item only allows the cities to get bids for a lower kWh price and it would be our responsibilities to let the staff and council know if we favor renewable fuels in the mix.
For more info see the links below.
Andy

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Bruce Knight" <Bruce....@ci.champaign.il.us>
Date: February 28, 2012 2:23:35 PM CST
To: "Angela Adams" <Angela...@ci.champaign.il.us>, "Andy Robinson" <andrew.rob...@gmail.com>, "Amy Allen" <all...@illinois.edu>
Cc: "Emmy Riley" <emmal...@gmail.com>, "Stacy James" <waterfo...@gmail.com>, "Shelley Mix" <m...@illinois.edu>, "Stacy James" <sja...@prairierivers.org>
Subject: Re: Municipal electricity aggregation referendum

For more information on the project in advance of tonight's meeting we have a website you can go to www.powervotecu.com.  Also, you can find the staff report that went to City Council for tonight's discussion at http://archive.ci.champaign.il.us/archive/dsweb/Get/Document-10733/SS 2012-011.pdf

>>> Angela Adams 2/28/2012 2:16 PM >>>
Hi All,

I looked into this a little more within Champaign.  Tonight is when the Council will be voting on how the City of Champaign will proceed with the bidding for the electrical aggregation.  I spoke to Bruce Knight the Planning Director about the staff's recommendation for renewable energy.  Staff's recommendation for the Council is to bid three different ways with the minimum state standards on renewables (~6%) being one and two different bids with one being two times and another being three times that amount of renewables.  Staff will then be able to evaluate the cost of these three bids.   A time to speak to Council about renewables would be during the public comments time during the Council meeting tonight- 102 N Neil St. 7:00 PM.
On March 12 there will be a meeting hosted by the League of Women Voter's for Champaign.  Bruce also mentioned that there is a meeting for Urbana on March 15th.  I am not sure who that is hosted by.
I also noticed that comment in the email that Urbana's mayor has committed to renewables but was not sure about Champaign and tonight is the night for decision.
I have cc'ed Bruce Knight on this email if you have any questions, he is the expert on this (I don't know a lot about it) and will be at the Council meeting tonight.

Hope this helped!

Angela

Angela Adams
Recycling Coordinator