William Fabian

Nov 16, 2011, 11:01:17 PM11/16/11
to ccnet-renew...@googlegroups.com
There is more to the story than meets the eye. Here is a quick snip regarding the effects to net metering in Illinois as a result of the passage of the "smart grid"  bill. This is what you did not hear and could explain another reason why the established utilites paid so much get this passed.

On Halloween, Illinois Senate Bill 1652
became law, making significant changes to the IL net metering statute. The bill had been vetoed on September 12 by Governor Quinn but was overridden by the House and Senate. The bill nominally moves the net metering cap from 40 KW to 2 MW, but because of other restrictions tied to Customer Class definitions, size-to-load requirements and technical limitations, the actual impact of this is negligible. Furthermore, since only customers in non-competitive classes are eligible for net metering, and all customer classes are expected to be declared competitive within 2-3 years, this legislation essentially sunsets net metering in Illinois for all customers within a relatively short time frame.

Bill Fabian
Midstate Renewable Energy Srvc.
PO Box 6345
Champaign, IL 61826

Anthony Santarelli

Nov 17, 2011, 12:03:48 PM11/17/11
to ccnet-renew...@googlegroups.com
Very interesting part of the fuller picture. You're right, had not heard about this before. Thanks for the update!

Anthony Santarelli | Dir. of Program Development
ant...@illinoisgba.com | cell: 217.417.1311

Illinois Green Business Association
301 N. Neil, Suite 402 | Champaign, IL 61820
www.illinoisgba.com | office: 217.531.2179

Andy Robinson

Nov 17, 2011, 2:52:08 PM11/17/11
to ccnet-renew...@googlegroups.com
Hmm.  DSIRE is the source I always point people to and it has a note saying that IL doesn't meet their standard definition of net metering anymore:

NOTE: In October 2011, Illinois enacted S.B. 1652, which changes several aspects of net metering. For customers in competitive classes and/or on time-of-use tariffs, the law prescribes a dual metering and bill crediting system which does not meet the definition of net metering as the term is generally defined. The law also increases the system capacity limit to 2 MW and the aggregate capacity limit to 5%. Additionally, agricultural residues, untreated and unadulterated wood waste, landscape trimmings, and livestock manure are added to the list of eligible resources. More information will be posted here once the ICC develops new rules.

The issue comes down to if I am going to get a credit for the full retail rate of $0.10/kWh (generation+delivery+taxes), or am I only getting a credit for the generation rate of $0.05/kWh.
I wonder what the role of the ICC is in all of this?
-Andy

bi...@midstatepower.com

Nov 17, 2011, 3:01:24 PM11/17/11
to ccnet-renew...@googlegroups.com
I would expect a legal challenge to SB 1652 since it essentially changes an existing law.

If not, the already slow residential renewable energy market will depress even more. More importantly this really demonstrates how the utilities feel about the threat to their monopoly and their loyalties to their customers.

Going off grid to any extent is a very good alternative to this new development.

From: Andy Robinson <andrew.rob...@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2011 13:52:08 -0600
Subject: Re: [CCNet renewable energy]

Mike Royse

Nov 17, 2011, 3:33:48 PM11/17/11
to ccnet-renew...@googlegroups.com

I think there is a chance that this circumstance will force the ICC and our State to face the need to integrate how we deal with generation into/with T&D. It also may be that Ameren and ComEd have ideas on services that could be offered to do that.

I also agree that this will tend to bolster the off grid concepts at least initially.