Pretty database names for cpanel

Hugh Barnard

Apr 7, 2011, 4:20:08 AM4/7/11
to ccl...@googlegroups.com
Hi folks

This is a request that slipped through, unloved, but done now [somewhat as a hack, though]:

Problem
1. Registry names are database names in cclite
2. In cpanel, they are of form username_databasename
3. So registry names are 'ugly' in the user interface etc. etc.

Solution
4. Modified Cclitedb.pm and Ccu.pm + installvalues.html to deal with this
5. cclite.cf can now contain cpanelprefix=username to enable extra processing
6. If cpanelprefix exists, the username and underscore is stripped off at every 'visible' stage leaving database name
7. If it doesn't then everything is as before.

In principle with the new moduie versions installed, see 4 above, you 'should' just be able to add cpanelprefix=username to cclite.cf with a text editor. I haven't tried this, YMMV. This is a hack, but it goes through all my current regression tests. Obviously, it's only really useful for cpanel.

I'm putting a new version of the cpanel tarball onto sourceforge. The files are already on github, as they may be wanted individually. Incidentally, version numbering will probably change slightly in the near future as there's a switch away from subversion to git, internally.

Best regards Hugh

--
http://www.hughbarnard.org
http://www.twitter.com/hughbarnard

Mary Fee

Apr 8, 2011, 5:06:09 AM4/8/11
to ccl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Hugh
I seem to remember somewhere you said ELGG would
be a good front end for ccLite - we now have a test site.
Is ccLite also compatible with Drupal and/or Wordpress?
It would be great to see a demo of your software -
and/or is it ready yet for someone with the technical
expertise to be able to install and test it.
Looking Forward
Mary Fee
Secretary, LETSlink London
12 Southcote Road, London N19 5BJ
020-7607-7852 * 07966-216891
http://www.letslink.org/forum
http://www.letslinklondon.org.uk
http://www.londonwide.letslink.org
LETSlink London is a Company Limited by Guarantee, with Charitable Aims:
No 3421541 registered in England and Wales at 12 Southcote Road, London N19 5BJ

Hugh Barnard

Apr 8, 2011, 6:17:36 AM4/8/11
to ccl...@googlegroups.com, Mary Fee
Hi Mary, folks

Here's the position with the connectors and some technical news:

oscommerce:  abandoning, perhaps for Magento, for example
drupal: rough, working, needs work
elgg: rough, working, needs work
tiki-wiki: work being done by tiki-wiki team
joomla: quick look only, based on drupal, elgg
wordpress: not done or looked at

All of these are being based on the REST interface in .htaccess and that is the 'plan', though that's quite a big word to use on it. I'm currently doing some experiments with json, these manifest as: deliver_remote_data in Ccu.pm etc. already on github.

The point of doing drupal, elgg etc. roughly was/is to isolate some common code and thus create a simple core for connectors.

As for technical difficulty, it's getting easier to install but does require a hoster that is perl-friendly. I'm currently using krystal.co.uk who have everything needed. The cpanel versions work on there. The debian packages for debian and therefore Ubuntu servers are pretty easy, right now...

I'm quite busy at the moment, but I may stick a test version up on krystal, if people start saying they want one.

Best regards Hugh

Xavier de Pedro

Apr 8, 2011, 11:31:06 AM4/8/11
to ccl...@googlegroups.com, Mary Fee
+1

Having test sites would be a huge step forward for the commuity to
increase credibility on CClite compatibility with other systems.

And that effort might help then to those of us who want to have
integration with other softwares such as Tiki (integration which is not
user-admin friendly yet)

Xavi

Hugh Barnard

Apr 11, 2011, 6:06:03 AM4/11/11
to ccl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Xavi, Mary, folks

I need to think a moment about this. Last set of public tests was run from my home ADSL that's a pain [because I need to keep a close eye on it, nearly as a 'production' server] and it's slowish. If I use my hosting account, I use up databases that I need, so I can't let people install unlimited registries.

Other quick news. Decimal currencies are now on github and I'm working on 'bank style' printed statements created as Open Office documents.

Best regards Hugh

Xavier de Pedro

Apr 11, 2011, 6:17:31 AM4/11/11
to ccl...@googlegroups.com, Hugh Barnard
Hi Hugh:

An alternative, to avoid you having to use your resources, is to use the free space provided at
http://ourproject.org

It's free (as in free beer) for free (as in freedom) and copylefted projects, and they also provide mysql databases. They are using some Debian - based server, used for many projects.
And the sysadmins are (busy but) nice, and reachable by jabber (or cell phone) when really urgent things happen (if ever).

It's slow, but it allows people to test things, also connecting to the server through ssh (they use gforge)

Xavi

hugh.b...@gmail.com

Aug 1, 2011, 10:03:49 AM8/1/11
to ccl...@googlegroups.com
I've forgotten whether this got answered so:

  • there's a rough Drupal gateway module and a rough Elgg gateway module in the current release 0.8.0 in the gateways subdirectory
  • I did start on Joomla but I'm hoping to give that to someone else
  • we'll be discussing tiki-wiki during the summer, with luck
  • since I'm working on making these modules use Oauth instead of a made-up method [that is quite similar to Oauth] it may be worth waiting
  • Oauth is getting done [slowly] because of opentransact

I'll put out a more informative email about the general state of things in a couple of days. But it's worth noting that there's been quite a lot of incremental change at: https://github.com/hbarnard/cclite and it's worth keeping an eye on this.

I can actually remove one or two test databases at the moment, so I may have room for test sites...

Best regards Hugh