problems with "download dataset" in cate desktop -> installation complete?

Anke Kniffka

Nov 24, 2017, 6:12:53 AM11/24/17
to CCI Tools

Dear support team,

Is there a benchmark test to find out whether the installation of the cate desktop was successful?
I was able to install cate and the desktop on my linux system (open SUSE 13.2) without error messages, but now there
are some problems when loading data.
I randomly tried some datasets and retrieve various error messages, one example would be (see picture):

This results in the following error message:
set_workspace_resource() call raised exception: "'Dataset' object has no attribute 'lat'"

Another example is the dataset esacci.CLOUD.mon.L3C.CLD_PRODUCTS.MODIS.Aqua.MODIS_AQUA.2-0.r1.
I cannot load data with the desktop, but it works fine when using the command line interface.

So I would like to know if I made just very unlucky choices and picked some not-yet-working files or if the installation
was not completely successful.

Best regards,

Anke Kniffka

Norman Fomferra

Nov 24, 2017, 6:27:50 AM11/24/17
to CCI Tools
Hi Anke,

Thanks for the report, and sorry for the inconvenience that Cate caused. In fact, there might still exist problems with one or the other CCI dataset type, as there are many.

Is there a benchmark test to find out whether the installation of the cate desktop was successful?
Cate Desktop does perform the required checks. If a check fails, it will be reported, and the application won't start at all.

set_workspace_resource() call raised exception: "'Dataset' object has no attribute 'lat'"
This is definitely a bug. We'll fix that for the next version. It should always be possible to open a listed dataset unless the file is corrupt. But then Cate should say so.

Another example is the dataset esacci.CLOUD.mon.L3C.CLD_PRODUCTS.MODIS.Aqua.MODIS_AQUA.2-0.r1.
Do you get the same error message? Anyway, we'll look into that.

So I would like to know if I made just very unlucky choices and picked some not-yet-working files or if the installation
was not completely successful.

We'll find out!

Best regards
    Norman

Anke Kniffka

Dec 21, 2017, 10:04:06 AM12/21/17
to CCI Tools
Dear Norman,

Is there a benchmark test to find out whether the installation of the cate desktop was successful?
Cate Desktop does perform the required checks. If a check fails, it will be reported, and the application won't start at all.

O.K., then it should be fine, I had no error reports and it starts up.

set_workspace_resource() call raised exception: "'Dataset' object has no attribute 'lat'"
This is definitely a bug. We'll fix that for the next version. It should always be possible to open a listed dataset unless the file is corrupt. But then Cate should say so.

Another example is the dataset esacci.CLOUD.mon.L3C.CLD_PRODUCTS.MODIS.Aqua.MODIS_AQUA.2-0.r1.
Do you get the same error message? Anyway, we'll look into that.

No, I had a different one, but it seems to have disappeared, maybe there was simply a connection problem. Cate desktop seems to be a bit unstable on my pc from time to time, some features are not really reproducable. Sometimes I cannot put a placemark on the map, but when I stop cate and restart it, it suddenly works.

Thank you very much for your help, we updated my pc to a newer version of open suse (this was in our regular schedule) and now cate desktop runs more smoothly (except for this lat attribute error).

Best regards,

Anke

Norman Fomferra

Dec 21, 2017, 1:17:16 PM12/21/17
to CCI Tools
Hi Anke, you can track your issue here: https://github.com/CCI-Tools/cate/issues/478

It should be fixed in the next release in January.