Cambridge Climate Charter

Lera Miles, UNEP-WCMC

Oct 7, 2009, 4:35:43 AM10/7/09
to CCF-climate
I have just learnt about this local govt initiative to persuade
organisations to reduce their greenhouse gas emissions.

http://www.cambridgeclimatechangecharter.org.uk/

Organisations are asked to sign the charter & offered some support in

The main text -

We . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
acknowledge that
1. evidence shows that climate change is occurring.
2. climate change will have increasingly significant effects on the
people, organisations
and environment of Cambridge.
We commit our organisation from this
date . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
to contribute towards tackling climate change by
1. establishing a baseline of emissions from our activities which
contribute towards
climate change.
2. assessing the risks to our activities posed by climate change.
3. setting challenging targets for the reduction of greenhouse gas
emissions.
4. taking action to reduce the emissions resulting from our activities
and the risks posed
to them by climate change.
5. reporting the progress we make in taking action at least annually.
6. working in partnership with other organisations to address the
causes and
consequences of climate change throughout Cambridge.
7. encouraging those we work with to take similar action to address
the causes and
consequences of climate change and encouraging them to commit to this
Charter
where they are located in Cambridge.
8. assigning responsibility for these climate change commitments to a
senior individual.