Method and Process

Brian Weiss

Jun 4, 2013, 3:24:16 AM6/4/13
to ccda_s...@googlegroups.com
In this discussion topic, we will collaborate on our method and process.

My initial proposal for our method/process is as follows:

1) We will have a topic in which we collect proposed clinical scenarios and C-CDA constructs for which we might want to create samples.

2) We will prioritize the scenarios and start a discussion topic for each one we prioritize to work on.

3) We might start separate topics for generic discussions that surface within the context of a specific clinical scenario but have broader implications.

4) Once a sample is "baked" and has consensus support (or close to it), we will submit it via the HL7 listserv or other HL7-proposed mechanism for additional review and comment.

5) The resulting samples will be made available via suitable distribution mechanisms.  There can be multiple distribution mechanisms as all samples created here are released into the public domain without restriction.

Brian Weiss

Jun 9, 2013, 6:25:39 AM6/9/13
to ccda_s...@googlegroups.com
Copying into this thread some thoughts on "Method and Process" that came up in the thread on "No Known Problems":

I don’t want us to just create “piles of samples”.  I want us create “good samples”.  If that means it takes a while for us to build up a large quantity of samples, that is OK.

To me, good samples means a few things:

1)      Focused – not “here’s a complete C-CDA CCD” but rather “here is a sample section or entry showing clinical scenario X”

2)      Solid – subject to our expertise and limits, these should be “as good as we can make them” (as noted above, to avoid endless academic debates, our “out” will be to agree documenting alternate approaches for now pending future guidance from “higher authorities”).  This also means we invest required thought in things like IDs.

3)      Annotated – will take us some time to converge on the correct format, but I outlined earlier what I have in mind now (XML file + PDF file, PDF file has XML text with line numbers and hyperlinks to educational and explanatory text).

Input from others on what else is needed for “good” (meaning: practical, educational, useful) samples is appreciated…

Brian

Brian Weiss

Jun 9, 2013, 7:50:53 AM6/9/13
to ccda_s...@googlegroups.com

The issue of creating clinical scenarios that are coherent/consistent came up in the context of the thread on OIDs.

One fairly obvious starting point (though it should just be that, a starting point) are the test scenarios and data required for use in MU2 certification, as outlined here:

http://www.healthit.gov/policy-researchers-implementers/2014-edition-final-test-method

In particular – we probably want to look at §170.314(e)(1), (e)(2), (b)(1), (b)(2), and (b)(7) to start – as those are the criterion where C-CDA validation is explicitly called out (and for which there are options to select on the TTT testing tool site: http://transport-testing.nist.gov/ttt/).

Brian