AB 928 Concerns for COMM Studies

kim91...@gmail.com

Nov 8, 2021, 6:38:51 PM11/8/21
to CCCSenates
Hello All:

The Communication Studies faculty are going to be getting together to discuss concerns for our discipline pertaining to AB 928.  We are going to host meetings on Monday & Tuesday. Not two meetings with different information per se, more two chances for folks to talk and get up to speed about what is going on and how it can affect us. I am hoping (and asking) that you share this information with your communication studies faculty.

The meetings are as follows:

Monday – November 15th 6:00 pm

https://vcccd-edu.zoom.us/j/92467882613

Tuesday – November 16th 6:00 pm

https://vcccd-edu.zoom.us/j/92478090099

In addition to helping us get the word out to your communication faculty, I am hoping to solicit your help in a couple of other ways:

1. If there are other disciplines who find themselves in the same situation, please share any work that they are doing, folks to contact, groups that are forming. We would certainly like to join forces and apply pressure where we can.

2. I know many of you have tons of experience navigating these types of issues--any advice on what we can do, where we can apply pressure, would also be most appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any help you can throw our way. I don't think it is Chicken Little of me to say that for us, the sky is falling.

Hope you are all doing well.

Warmest Regards,

Kim Perigo
San Diego Mesa College

Kim Perigo

Nov 8, 2021, 7:24:28 PM11/8/21
to cccse...@googlegroups.com

OK, maybe I am a bit of a Chicken Little but want to be ready to apply pressure when we need to apply pressure. :)

--
This group has NOT been established or endorsed by the Academic Senate for California Community Colleges or its Executive Committee. This discussion group is not moderated, and any opinion expressed is solely that of its author.
---

Gretchen Ehlers

Nov 9, 2021, 11:14:32 AM11/9/21
to cccse...@googlegroups.com
Hi Meg,

From what I've heard, this bill is meant to create a committee to explore the possibility of creating a single pathway to UCs and CSUs, rather than having separate IGETC (UC pathway) and CSU GE requirements. CSU requires Comm and UC doesn't.

Again, I am not an expert, but I went to a Plenary talk on this topic. It's an interesting discussion, but any decision is a long way off. This is just creating a committee, from what I can tell. You should definitely stay informed.

Gretchen Ehlers

Mathematics Instructor

Academic Senate President

Nov 9, 2021, 4:50:56 PM11/9/21
to cccse...@googlegroups.com
There are many reasons to be concerned - here's the relevant part of the legislation (below - emphasis added - and comments in parentheses):

(i) (1) On or before May 31, 2023 (that's just a year and a half), the Intersegmental Committee of the Academic Senates of the University of California, the California State University, and the California Community Colleges shall establish a singular lower division general education pathway that meets the academic requirements necessary for transfer admission to both the California State University and University of California. If the Intersegmental Committee of the Academic Senates of the University of California, the California State University, and the California Community Colleges is unable to come to agreement on or before May 31, 2023, the respective administrative bodies of those segments shall establish a singular lower division general education pathway that meets the academic requirements necessary for transfer admission to the California State University and the University of California by December 31, 2023. (So, if the faculty can't figure it out, it is up to UCOP and the CSU and CCC Chancellor's Offices to make it happen.)

Yes, comm studies has reason to be concerned. But other recent changes also have the potential to decimate many of our social sciences as students' options for social science GE courses have been all but eliminated.

The other component of this - and the one that is probably more important if we are thinking about our students and not our respective disciplines - is something that was likely not in the minds of those who thought this was a good idea. If there is to be one GE transfer pattern, that would certainly also mean that all your courses that are GE for CSU and not GE for UC would no longer be usable as GE courses. Unless, of course, UC's overly restrictive practices were "reformed" as part of this process. That would, I believe, be a win for our students.

In thinking more long-term about comm studies, perhaps there are TMCs that should include comm courses as options - but that never did because at least one such course was already a guarantee. Perhaps there is work to be done on that front.

In case the buried URL above does not work - here's the link to the entire bill - https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billTextClient.xhtml?bill_id=202120220AB928

Michelle

Michelle L. Pilati, PhD

Professor of Psychology, Rio Hondo College
mpi...@riohondo.edu

Faculty Coordinator, ASCCC Open
Educational Resource Initiative
asccc-oeri.org

mpi...@asccc.org

Nov 9, 2021, 5:00:48 PM11/9/21
to cccse...@googlegroups.com

Thanks Michelle. Yes, I am frustrated by this bill. I am afraid of this bill. I am exhausted by these bills and initiatives.

Nov 9, 2021, 5:11:59 PM11/9/21
to cccse...@googlegroups.com
I’m right there with you Kim after dealing with COVID on my campus for last year it is stuff like this that makes me wonder if I could retire. I also am certain Assembly person Berman has no clue his legislation is having this effect.

On Nov 9, 2021, at 2:00 PM, Kimberley Perigo <kpe...@sdccd.edu> wrote:

Thanks Michelle. Yes, I am frustrated by this bill. I am afraid of this bill. I am exhausted by these bills and initiatives.

CAUTION: This email originated from outside the organization. Do not click links or open attachments unless you recognize the sender and know that the content is safe.
Hi Meg,

From what I've heard, this bill is meant to create a committee to explore the possibility of creating a single pathway to UCs and CSUs, rather than having separate IGETC (UC pathway) and CSU GE requirements. CSU requires Comm and UC doesn't.

Again, I am not an expert, but I went to a Plenary talk on this topic. It's an interesting discussion, but any decision is a long way off. This is just creating a committee, from what I can tell. You should definitely stay informed.

Gretchen Ehlers
Mathematics Instructor
Academic Senate President
<Outlook-kpdq4dao.png>

Kim Perigo

Nov 9, 2021, 8:14:29 PM11/9/21
to cccse...@googlegroups.com

 Mike,  I am with you. Berman has had such a negative impact on our system and relies on advice from outside lobbying groups and rejects the advice of faculty and other operational groups--I believe nearly all operational groups (including the Chancellor's office) was against the bill; yet, it was still pushed forward and Newsom signed it. ARRGGGG! How do you solve a problem like Berman?!? (yes, sing the Sound of Music to this last line...)