Part-timer as a Senate President

cheris...@gmail.com

Feb 15, 2021, 6:12:35 PM2/15/21
to CCCSenates
Hello all,

I have a question.  I am a part-time instructor at Gavilan and I am currently the Academic Senate Vice President.  I am considering a run for Senate President.  Our constitution and bylaws do not restrict a part-time instructor from holding the Senate President position.

My question is this, are there any other part-time instructors who are A.S. Presidents and if so, how does it work at your institution?  If you have release time associated with the position (which we do, 40%) is it counted as part of your load?  As I would be the first part-time instructor to take on this position, I would like to understand how other Senates  have dealt with a part-time instructor taking on this role.

Thank you,
Cherise

Piper Rooney

Feb 15, 2021, 6:28:30 PM2/15/21
to cccse...@googlegroups.com
Hi, Cherise,

Great decision!
It shouldn’t count as part of your load as it’s not instructional. The member of our Senate Exec who is an adjunct professor receives a stipend for her 20%.

Stay well!
Piper Rooney
Glendale CC

On Feb 15, 2021, at 3:12 PM, cheris...@gmail.com <cheris...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hello all,
--
This group has NOT been established or endorsed by the Academic Senate for California Community Colleges or its Executive Committee. This discussion group is not moderated, and any opinion expressed is solely that of its author.
---

Cherise Mantia

Mar 22, 2021, 8:50:12 PM3/22/21
to cccse...@googlegroups.com
Piper,

Thank you so much for the information.  I looked at your contract and I found something in Article VI Section 7.  Is that the correct article and section?

Cherise

--

Cherise Mantia, M.A.

Wheeler North

Mar 22, 2021, 9:21:35 PM3/22/21
to 'Shaw, Leigh Anne' via CCCSenates
This isn’t easily answered.

With respect to the 75:25 law the senate load would be neutral. Per the 50% law this would be in the non-instructional 50% (in this law there’s a middle group that gets removed from either 50% expenses). With respect to part time load limit I believe it would count as load although there’s been some changes since I’ve last explored that bucket. With respect to contract limitations, they apply unless they counter the above.

So your district practice may seem at odds with local rules to meet the conditions above, especially in this rare instance.

Wheeler

Uyeki, Chisato

Mar 22, 2021, 11:58:44 PM3/22/21
to cccse...@googlegroups.com

Hi,

I think that this section in Title 5 might help answer the question. We took this to mean that it did not need to be included in load when our Secretary was an adjunct faculty member.

87482.5.

  (a) Notwithstanding any other law, a person who is employed to teach adult or community college classes for not more than 67 percent of the hours per week considered a full-time assignment for regular employees having comparable duties shall be classified as a temporary employee, and shall not become a contract employee under Section 87604. If the provisions of this section are in conflict with the terms of a collective bargaining agreement in effect on or before January 1, 2009, the provisions of this section shall govern the employees subject to that agreement upon the expiration of the agreement.

(b) Service as a substitute on a day-to-day basis by persons employed under this section shall not be used for purposes of calculating eligibility for contract or regular status.

(c) (1) Service in professional ancillary activities by persons employed under this section, including, but not necessarily limited to, governance, staff development, grant writing, and advising student organizations, shall not be used for purposes of calculating eligibility for contract or regular status unless otherwise provided for in a collective bargaining agreement applicable to a person employed under this section.

(2) This subdivision may not be construed to affect the requirements of subdivision (d) of Section 84362.

(Amended by Stats. 2008, Ch. 84, Sec. 1. Effective January 1, 2009.)

https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/codes_displaySection.xhtml?lawCode=EDC&sectionNum=87482.5.

Best,

Chisa

E. Chisato Uyeki