AS Equity Committee & Non-faculty members in AS committees

pearl lopez

Mar 18, 2021, 11:06:50 PM3/18/21
to cccse...@googlegroups.com

Dear Colleagues,
At Grossmont College, some of our faculty are leading the effort to create an equity committee under the Senate.  I wanted to know if anyone in this group has this committee already and if you wouldn't mind sharing a copy of the charge.

Also, we are having discussions about having non-faculty members on our AS committees.  Our committees are already predominantly faculty.  Our intent in including non-faculty members is to create more inclusivity, collegiality and partnership.  Does anyone have similar structures to their committees?  Is there any State policy against this?  Any thoughts on pros and cons?

Thank you very much.

Pearl Lopez
AS President Elect

Denise Schulmeyer
AS President

Roger Dickes

Mar 18, 2021, 11:48:49 PM3/18/21
to cccse...@googlegroups.com
Hi All -

I've been quiet so far - and I appreciate when Piper, my amazing predecessor, contributes to this listserve. Finally, I can help.

Below is an excerpt from our just-revised By-Laws. We at GCC have both a Student Equity and Achievement Committee (a non-Senate governance committee that's been active for a long time - used to be the Student Equity Committee) and a forming Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Committee of the Senate.

Hope this is helpful.

Roger

Roger Dickes
Academic Senate President
Instructor of Animation
Glendale Community College
rdi...@glendale.edu

Section 10. Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Committee (DEI)

A.   Composition:

  1. Faculty reps from each division
  2. Cultural Diversity Coordinator or designee
  3. Rep from Disabled Student Programs and Services
  4. Student Representatives from each Learning Community
  5. AS representative
  6. 2 representatives from student clubs (to be advertised by AS during IOC meetings)
  7. Library representative

Support:

The work of the committee will be supported by the Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Faculty Chair, a 40% faculty release time position whose assignment objectives, description, supervision, tasks, and qualifications are outlined in the RT/EP Assignment Description approved by the College Executive Committee.

B.    Mission:

The Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI) Committee will involve students, alumni, faculty and staff, as well as external communities, in the development of recommendations to the Academic Senate regarding robust research, symposia, lectures, and curricular expansion on issues of diversity, equity, and inclusion in all disciplines.

Diversity includes gender, age, ethnicity and race, and internationalism. It also includes geographic origins such as urbanism and ruralism; socioeconomic background; first generation in college; reentry students, non-traditional students, sexual orientation, gender identity; religious beliefs; and political points of view.

Duties:

  1. Student Success
    1. Make recommendations to the Academic Senate on how funds from the Student Equity and Achievement Committee can be prioritized to meet the mission and goals of this committee.
    2. Review and make recommendations to the Academic Senate on changes to existing methods for reporting student complaints pertaining to curriculum
    3. Review and make recommendations to the Academic Senate on changes to pre-existing programs pertaining to diversity, inclusion, equity and curriculum.

  2. Educational Innovation
    1. Advocate and collaborate with the Curriculum and Instruction Committee (C&I) for actionable measures taken for the decolonization of curriculum and classrooms across disciplines at GCC.
    2. Make recommendations to the Academic Senate for revised evaluation criteria of faculty for the purpose of decolonizing the institution to be presented to the Guild and District for changes, as appropriate, in the Collective Bargaining Agreement.
    3. Develop recommendations for the Academic Senate regarding a diversity and inclusion self-assessment for faculty to reflect on their own teaching practices.
    4. Make recommendations to the Academic Senate regarding professional development for faculty on diversity, equity and inclusion as well as discipline-specific workshops for the development of inclusive and decolonized curriculum.
    5. Make recommendations to the Academic Senate for events that are funded to support equity and innovation within Academia (such as):
      1. Annual conference/symposium on BIPOC Scholarship and curriculum development
      2. High caliber guest speakers with curriculum pairing and ancillary programming for students, faculty and staff college-wide.
      3. Incoming student book program
      4. Alternative programs for student scholarship domestically and abroad via conferences, workshops and residencies.
  1. Strategic Infrastructure
    1. Review hiring procedures - recruitment, intake process, retention, and make recommendations to the Academic Senate for improvement to be presented to appropriate college governance committees.
    2. Review and make recommendations to the Academic Senate on pre-existing programs aimed at diversity, inclusion and equity
    3. Develop a rubric/metric to measure and maintain institutional change to assist the Academic Senate in evaluating progress and in proposing recommendations for action within the college governance processes.
    4. Assess the value, and Develop if appropriate, a procedure to recommend to the Academic Senate to receive complaints related to discriminatory actions in the classroom and what’s being taught
    5. Review and make recommendations to the Academic Senate on existing educational programs pertaining to diversity, inclusion, equity and curriculum

Mar 19, 2021, 12:03:38 AM3/19/21
to cccse...@googlegroups.com
Excellent, Roger!!!!

Stay well!
Piper

Verma, Soni

Mar 19, 2021, 12:20:14 AM3/19/21
to cccse...@googlegroups.com
Hello,
 We have three equity committees.
 New Legacy
New Legacy is a standing committee of the Academic Senate. The mission of the New Legacy Committee is to create a Sierra College campus community and learning environment committed to increased success, retention, transfer, and goal attainment rates for historically underrepresented students. The New Legacy Committee will utilize a data-driven, accountability-based approach to intentionally and deliberately target and implement strategies to improve historically underrepresented student success.
  1. Increase English A and 1A course completion rates for historically underrepresented students.
  2. Increase Math 581, 582, A, and D course completion rates for historically underrepresented students.
  3. Increase the historically underrepresented student participation and completion rates in Career and Technical Education programs (i.e. Automotive Technology, Mechatronics, Computer Technology, and Nursing).
  4. Increase the number and percentage of AA/AS degrees granted to historically underrepresented students.
  5. Increase the number and percentage of historically underrepresented students who transfer to four-year colleges and universities.
  6. Increase the matriculation goal obtainment rates for historically underrepresented students.
  7. Create a more welcoming and inclusive campus environment that supports the needs of underrepresented students and allows all students opportunities to learn about and become active in diversity issues on campus.
Gender Equity
The Gender Equity Committee, as a standing committee of the Academic Senate, exists as a formal body whose mission includes facilitating a safe and equitable academic, professional, and learning environment through cultural, social, structural, legal, and academic change. Gender equity issues are universal. Therefore the Gender Equity Committee seeks to work collaboratively to address the intersection of gender with race, ethnicity, sexualities, culture, socioeconomic status, age, disability, creed, and political background

 Spectrum
The Spectrum Committee, as a standing committee of the Academic Senate, exists as a formal body whose mission included improving the success and retention of Sierra College’s LGBTIQ students as well as ensuring them a safe campus climate. As LGBTIQ persons are found across every demographic, the Spectrum Committee seeks to work collaboratively with other campus groups and programs to promote equity across ethnic and racial, socioeconomic, creed, and political backgrounds. The title, “Spectrum” was chosen as a commitment to represent all aspects of the LGBTIQ populations.