Local Senate President Meeting with Local Board of Trustees President

cheris...@gmail.com

Oct 20, 2021, 4:41:04 PM10/20/21
to CCCSenates
Hello,

I have a question about meeting with the President of our Local Board of Trustees.  I thought that there was mention of this in one of the Leadership Institute or Plenary breakout sessions, but I can't seem to find the information again.  What does the ASCCC say about local academic senate president's meeting one on one with the president of the local board of trustees?  Our campus is working on improving collegial communication among the shared governance groups.  The faculty and the board have terrible communication and I would really like to change this.  Has anyone met with their local board president and if so, what was the meeting successful?

Thank you for your time,
Cherise Mantia

Uyeki, Chisato

Oct 20, 2021, 5:02:16 PM10/20/21
to cccse...@googlegroups.com

We meet with members of the Board of Trustees, I see it as part of my responsibility to ensure that the Board understands which items of the 10+1 we are responsible for reporting directly to the BoT. It has been very beneficial to our relationship.

Best,

Chisa

E. Chisato Uyeki

Academic Senate President

Librarian

Mt. San Antonio College

cuy...@mtsac.edu

Pronouns: she, her, hers

cid:image001.png@01D39F51.E8A79320

Nov 10, 2021, 1:27:23 AM11/10/21
to CCCSenates
Hello Cherise and Chisa,

I came across this thread a little late, but I have a similar question.  It's been past practice at our college that the only interaction between the board and the academic senate is via the senate report at the monthly board meeting.  It is my understanding that what Chisa describes is not uncommon, and that in many colleges individual senate executive committee members (most often the president of the senate) have regular and relatively unstructured meetings with individual trustees (one or possibly two at a time).  In fact, page 10 of the "Local Senate Guidelines for Effective Relations with Faculty and Administration" --an admittedly old ASCCC document that is still used-- suggests "set[ting] up breakfast or luncheon meetings with trustees" and goes on to say that the senate president "should meet periodically, perhaps before each board meeting, with the president of the board to review senate activities."

Some trustees at our college think this is unwise (perhaps based on some misinterpretation of the role of trustees as describe by the League, ACCJC orientations, professional organizations, etc.?).  Anyway there is a lot of trepidation about scheduling such meetings, and some of these trustees seem to be genuinely worried that engaging in this way with senate leadership could lead to a violation of ... something.

It would be interesting to poll senate leadership across many CCC --maybe in a forum like this-- to know how common are such meetings/interactions nowadays.

If anybody else is willing to chime in, that would be great

Thank you all,

Alberto Restrepo
Professor of Sociology
Academic Senate President
Co-Chair, College Council and Technology Council
Allan Hancock College