Department Chairs

Cherise Mantia

Mar 10, 2021, 6:24:48 PM3/10/21
to cccse...@googlegroups.com
Hello all,

We at Gavilan College are about to negotiate a pilot program for Department Chairs and are looking for Department Chair language in other contracts.  Specifically, duties, term limits, and compensation.  Might any of you have contract language around this?  Our local Senate is working Department Chairs on this issue and we would like to know how other colleges and Senates have worked on this at their schools.

Thank you,
Cherise Mantia
Academic Senate Vice President of Academic Affairs

--

Cherise Mantia, M.A.

Andrew Park

Mar 10, 2021, 6:33:25 PM3/10/21
to cccse...@googlegroups.com
Article 14 of Peralta contract (https://pft1603.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/180912-Revised-CONTRACT-2016-2019-PDF.pdf) covers department chair position (release time allocation, election procedure, etc.). The appendix (https://pft1603.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/180912-APPENDIX-2016-2019-PDF.pdf) has a section for chairperson job description.

We don't have any term limits---and given that usually some faculty leads serve as chairs for a long time, I can imagine an actual term limit being problematic, particularly for small departments.

--
This group has NOT been established or endorsed by the Academic Senate for California Community Colleges or its Executive Committee. This discussion group is not moderated, and any opinion expressed is solely that of its author.
---

Freitas, John E

Mar 10, 2021, 8:19:06 PM3/10/21
to cccse...@googlegroups.com
Hi Cherise,
Chair duties, elections, terms, and differential compensation are negotiated in our CBA (http://laccd.edu/Departments/HumanResources/Documents/Union%20Contract%202020-23/_AFT_ContractBook_FINAL_10.1.4_20201128.pdf) Please see Article 17. Some highlights include reassigned time based on department size; reassigned time for chair duties is on a 240-day rather than a 200-day calendar; and a sizable responsibility differential.  Terms are 3 years. While there are no term limits, one must receive a 2/3 majority of votes to be elected to a third consecutive term, even when unopposed.
John

John Freitas, Professor of Chemistry
LACC Articulation Officer
DAS Parliamentarian
Los Angeles City College

Daniel Crump

Mar 10, 2021, 8:33:05 PM3/10/21
to cccse...@googlegroups.com
Los Rios contract:
Department Chairs---Article 2.2.4 (pages 3-8) and Stipend Schedule (page 224) and Points Criteria for Level of Compensation (page 255---Appendix G).
Go Gavilan!

Peter Sezzi

Mar 10, 2021, 9:24:27 PM3/10/21
to cccse...@googlegroups.com
Good ol' lucky Article 13 in the Ventura County Community College District.

I am a former Chief Negotiator so if I can be of any assistance, let me know. I made some edits when I was Chief to this Article so I have some first hand experience.

     Be safe, wear a mask and wash your hands,
   --Peter

Peter H. Sezzi
Librarian & Library Dept. Chair
Evelyn & Howard Boroughs Library
Ventura College
4667 Telegraph Road
Ventura, CA 93003

How to Reach Me:
(805) 289-6189 -- Honestly, not the best way to reach  me during COVID-19
pse...@vcccd.edu -- A better way to reach me during COVID-19
Book a Research/Reference Appointment -- Best way to reach me for research help during COVID-19

Mar 10, 2021, 11:07:42 PM3/10/21
to cccse...@googlegroups.com
A little beyond standard, but at City College of San Francisco our Department Chairs are their own union with their own contract which can be found here, in case there is anything of use to be gleaned from it:

I was on the team that negotiated the previous contract to this one, so happy to answer any questions anybody might have.

In Health
E. Simon Hanson

--
Edward Simon Hanson PhD