Brown Act - 9/30 ends zoom option

Sarah Frid

Aug 13, 2021, 7:17:03 PM8/13/21
to cccse...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone,

For fall term, the faculty at Palo Verde still have a remote/work from home MOU with the district, with the exception of just a few hand picked f2f classes.

After this was finalized, we got word that we will need to resume in-person Senate meetings and subcommittees.

Our senate is a senate of the whole and I am concerned that we will struggle to get quorum because...all the reasons...but mostly covid, and that most of our full-time faculty live far away (between 100-150 miles) because of our remote city.

Does anyone else have a similar situation or similar concerns?

Thanks,
Sarah Frid
Academic Senate
Palo Verde College

Patrick Kelly

Aug 13, 2021, 9:15:36 PM8/13/21
to cccse...@googlegroups.com
Curious who mandated F2F meetings? Seems like that should be the faculty/senates choice.

On Aug 13, 2021, at 4:17 PM, Sarah Frid <fridsa...@gmail.com> wrote:

--
This group has NOT been established or endorsed by the Academic Senate for California Community Colleges or its Executive Committee. This discussion group is not moderated, and any opinion expressed is solely that of its author.
---

Mike Kalustian

Aug 13, 2021, 9:19:46 PM8/13/21
to cccse...@googlegroups.com
The Brown Act is state law that applies to Senates. We do not have the authority to violate State law. Only the governor can suspend it, which he did but the exemption ends on 9/30
Mike Kalustian
Immediate Past President
Los Angeles City College.

Kim Dudzik

Aug 13, 2021, 9:31:34 PM8/13/21
to cccse...@googlegroups.com

Brown Act mandates F2F meetings. Academic Senates are Local Legislative bodies. Governor relaxed the regulations during the pandemic, but is set to expire 9/30.

Kim Dudzik

Cuyamaca College

Aug 13, 2021, 9:34:12 PM8/13/21
to cccse...@googlegroups.com
At Glendale, we’ll continue with remote Senate meetings for fall. Our Quorum is 17.

Stay well!
Piper

Lewellen, R. Michelle

Aug 13, 2021, 9:36:13 PM8/13/21
to cccse...@googlegroups.com
Cerritos College mandated f2f.

Michelle Lewellen
Psychology, Professor
Past Senate President, Cerritos College

Aug 13, 2021, 9:38:57 PM8/13/21
to cccse...@googlegroups.com
Piper,
Isn’t this illegal? You’d be violating Brown Act and votes wouldn’t count. (That’s my understanding, at least). My Senate would love this option, but it isn’t possible unless governor extends exception to the law.
Am I missing something?
Amy Edwards
Oxnard College ASP

Sent from Dr. Amy Edwards’ iPhone

On Aug 13, 2021, at 6:34 PM, Piper Rooney <mro...@glendale.edu> wrote:

CAUTION: This email originated from outside of VCCCD. Do not click links or download attachments unless you have verified the sender and know the content is safe.

Piper Rooney

Aug 13, 2021, 9:44:35 PM8/13/21
to cccse...@googlegroups.com
Hi, Amy.

We’re not really welcome back on our campus right now.

I may be speaking out of turn; this was the most recent plan I’d heard for our Senate meetings in fall!

Piper

On Aug 13, 2021, at 6:39 PM, Amy Edwards <aedw...@vcccd.edu> wrote:

 Piper,

Patrick Kelly

Aug 13, 2021, 9:45:57 PM8/13/21
to cccse...@googlegroups.com
Ah, thanks for clarifying. I did not know the number the exception had expired.

On Aug 13, 2021, at 6:39 PM, Amy Edwards <aedw...@vcccd.edu> wrote:

 Piper,

Oliver, Julie

Aug 13, 2021, 9:52:09 PM8/13/21
to cccse...@googlegroups.com
As of now, at the end of Sept, the current Brown Act leniencies enacted by the Governor during the pandemic are set to expire. Those leniencies have allowed us to meet using zoom throughout the pandemic. If that expiration holds then, yes, all college academic senates will have to resume in person meetings as they are legislative bodies which are legally required to follow the Brown Act. I would encourage you to review the power point presented at the ASCCC Faculty Leadership Institute in June for more detailed information on the Brown Act. Take note of the teleconference requirements, which would need to be followed if you had a remote location for your meetings. I've attached the document.
Good luck everyone!
Julie

Julie A. Oliver

Professor, Biology Department

Los Rios Community College District Academic Senate President

Cosumnes River College

8401 Center Parkway

Sacramento, CA 95823-5799

Office  SCI 220

phone  916-691-7581

email   oli...@crc.losrios.edu

P Think, Act & Go GREEN - Please don't print this e-mail unless necessary.

Aug 13, 2021, 10:05:52 PM8/13/21
to Oliver, Julie, cccse...@googlegroups.com
Thank you, Julie!
(I think I remember some hilarious anecdotes from 2017’s institute on where the Agenda had to be posted in hotel lobbies and taxis)
Piper

> [...]
>
> --
> This group has NOT been established or endorsed by the Academic Senate for California Community Colleges or its Executive Committee. This discussion group is not moderated, and any opinion expressed is solely that of its author.
> ---
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "CCCSenates" group.
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cccsenates/E9415E23-8FF4-4C58-B2E9-2EC02E52CBE7%40glendale.edu<https://linkprotect.cudasvc.com/url?a=https%3a%2f%2fgroups.google.com%2fd%2fmsgid%2fcccsenates%2fE9415E23-8FF4-4C58-B2E9-2EC02E52CBE7%2540glendale.edu%3futm_medium%3demail%26utm_source%3dfooter&c=E,1,GMIgOCnNXzWMfS-1tdug7wenT3D8O75sPJPAaXcjaxjJ9TToENbnHEi_0Lglq777FOYm9aRBCoB7l30wj_g3bYc5mv8STwMg14N5JuThtehjeg,,&typo=1>.
>
> --
> This group has NOT been established or endorsed by the Academic Senate for California Community Colleges or its Executive Committee. This discussion group is not moderated, and any opinion expressed is solely that of its author.
> ---
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "CCCSenates" group.
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cccsenates/3F566547-EEF7-49E1-A43E-1913A5CBEAB5%40vcccd.edu<https://linkprotect.cudasvc.com/url?a=https%3a%2f%2fgroups.google.com%2fd%2fmsgid%2fcccsenates%2f3F566547-EEF7-49E1-A43E-1913A5CBEAB5%2540vcccd.edu%3futm_medium%3demail%26utm_source%3dfooter&c=E,1,CoBrioGCVB2rfiZD4S4SFINjWYi3fSLs964vcYN9bx8xuQO0Pdxdu5roond5rgJLdAhoOd-3lDpOKMprHcwvpSDwf9Ljv8_VXo72eBYR&typo=1>.
>
> --
> This group has NOT been established or endorsed by the Academic Senate for California Community Colleges or its Executive Committee. This discussion group is not moderated, and any opinion expressed is solely that of its author.
> ---
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "CCCSenates" group.
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cccsenates/BYAPR19MB2839CF509BDC89BD967912F9EAFB9%40BYAPR19MB2839.namprd19.prod.outlook.com<https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cccsenates/BYAPR19MB2839CF509BDC89BD967912F9EAFB9%40BYAPR19MB2839.namprd19.prod.outlook.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.
> <Brown_Act-2021_Academic_Senate_Faculty_Leadership_Institute.pptx>

Darcie McClelland Descalzo

Aug 13, 2021, 10:09:37 PM8/13/21
to cccse...@googlegroups.com
For many of us in LA this doesn’t work.  Our faculty are 80% remote and because of the department of health capacity limits and vaccination requirements for indoor spaces there’s not a place on campus we can feasibly meet in person.  Furthermore, our contract doesn’t require faculty to be on campus for fall at all so I have no means to require senators, several of whom are currently living out of state, to come to campus for meetings.  Practically speaking we have enough issues getting people who are willing to serve and if we mandate on campus meetings I won’t have a senate left to work with.  Given our currently focuses on equity and inclusiveness, it would seem that the state needs to re-examine these policies in light of current situations and available technologies to host virtual meetings that, at least in our case, have increased participation by nearly 300%, and allow us to continue with practices that we have found to be more accessible to those whose personal situations limit their ability to travel to campus.  Perhaps ASCCC could lobby on our behalf for a policy that is feasible for our colleges.

Darcie L. McClelland, PhD
Associate Professor of Biology
Academic Senate President
El Camino College

Sent from my iPhone

On Aug 13, 2021, at 6:52 PM, Oliver, Julie <Oli...@crc.losrios.edu> wrote:

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cccsenates/BYAPR19MB2839CF509BDC89BD967912F9EAFB9%40BYAPR19MB2839.namprd19.prod.outlook.com.
<Brown_Act-2021_Academic_Senate_Faculty_Leadership_Institute.pptx>

Freitas, John E

Aug 13, 2021, 10:16:10 PM8/13/21
to cccse...@googlegroups.com
Teleconference meetings can always be held, but the suspension of the requirements such as posting agendas at every location, making every teleconference location open to the public, requiring teleconference locations to be within the jurisdiction of the local agency, etc., ends September 30.

See Government Code sec. 54953(c):

John Freitas, Professor of Chemistry
LACC Articulation Officer
DAS Parliamentarian
Los Angeles City College

On Aug 13, 2021, at 6:44 PM, Piper Rooney <mro...@glendale.edu> wrote:

 Hi, Amy.

Sarah Frid

Aug 14, 2021, 10:38:36 AM8/14/21
to CCCSenates
I appreciate everyone replying; it sounds like some of your senates are more logistically ready to return to f2f than Palo Verde or El Camino.

Darcie, your comments really resonate with my experience regarding equity and participation, as well as my concerns regarding trying to function in-person.

Thank you again!
Sarah

Lisa Villa

Aug 16, 2021, 12:33:48 PM8/16/21
to cccse...@googlegroups.com
I find it disturbing that Brown Act can supersede public health and safety. It's not every day we find ourselves in a pandemic (the last one being over 100 years ago!).

This rule seems very outdated given our ability to meet remotely and still find ways of accurately accounting for votes?

Is there no other way to address this? I am having this convo with many colleagues right now and in particular, their desire (and commitment) to continuing with Zoom meetings.

Lisa Villa
Curriculum Chair, Counseling Faculty
Google voice/office: (562) 352-6299
1000 WEST FOOTHILL BOULEVARD
GLENDORA, CALIFORNIA 91741

preferred pronouns: she/her

We are not our brother's keeper--we are our brother and we are our sister. We must look past complexion and see community. ~Maya Angelou

Aug 16, 2021, 12:42:18 PM8/16/21
to cccse...@googlegroups.com
At ASCCC Spring Plenary a resolution was passed, so ASCCC should be advocating on our behalf.

Whereas, Meetings of local academic senates and their associated committees are subject to the requirements of the Ralph M. Brown Act (Government Code sections 54950- 54963);