Fwd: CSU Board of Trustees - pending title 5 changes to GE

Freitas, John E

Mar 16, 2024, 3:32:00 PMMar 16
to Freitas, John E
Colleagues,
FYI, please see below. I sent this through the Chancellor’s Office articulation officers listserv yesterday. Please feel free to share.
John

John Freitas, Professor of Chemistry
LACC Articulation Officer
SCIAC Chair-Elect
DAS Parliamentarian
Los Angeles City College

Los Angeles City College acknowledges the Gabrielino/Tongva peoples as the traditional land caretakers of Tovaangar (the Los Angeles basin and So. Channel Islands). We pay our respects to the Honuukvetam (Ancestors), ‘Ahiihirom (Elders) and ‘Eyoohiinkem (our relatives/relations) past, present and emerging.

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Freitas, John E" <FREI...@lacitycollege.edu>
Date: March 15, 2024 at 15:49:39 PDT
To: Articulation Officers <ART...@listserv.cccco.edu>
Subject: CSU Board of Trustees - pending title 5 changes to GE

Hi all,

The agenda for the March 24-27 CSU Board of Trustees meeting is now posted (https://www.calstate.edu/csu-system/board-of-trustees/Pages/agenda.aspx). Please take a look at the agenda for the Committee on Educational Policy being held at 9:00 on March 27 and the agenda for the Plenary Session (Day 2) scheduled at 1:00 that same day. On both agendas are the proposed CSU title 5 changes to the CSU GE pattern, and from what I can discern is that if the Committee on Educational Policy approves the changes as recommendations to the full Board, then the Board will have the opportunity to take final action during the 1:00 plenary session.

The details of the proposed title 5 changes are in Agenda Item 4 (click the Committee on Educational Policy link above and scroll waaaaay down to find item 4). There is a new title 5 sec. 40405.5 where they authorize the use of Cal-GETC for our transfer students and continue to require a minimum of 9 upper division GE units. The biggest change, and the one we have been anticipating for good or bad, is the change to sec. 40405.1- California State University General Education –- Breadth Requirements. The top-line changes are:

  1. The pattern is aligned with the Cal-GETC pattern, although it doesn’t explicitly state that (but it clearly is).
  2. The minimum total unit GE requirement for a baccalaureate degree is reduced to 43 units minimum from 48 units minimum.
  3. Lifelong understanding and development (Area E) is eliminated as a GE requirement, as expected.

Click Download Full Agenda for information on how to join the meeting online and to submit written comments. The public comment part of the agenda is on Tuesday, March 26 at 9:00, immediately after the roll call.

Best,

John

John Freitas, Professor of Chemistry

Los Angeles City College