AB 928 - passed Appropriations. Your urgent action is needed

brillw...@gmail.com

Aug 27, 2021, 2:20:10 PM8/27/21
to CCCSenates

With ALL practitioner system partners in opposition to the automatic placement of our students in the ADT pathway, AB 928 still sailed through Senate Appropriations Committee yesterday. It nows goes to the full state senate for a vote. Please contact your elected state senator IMMEDIATELY and let them know that you oppose the bill. Include your name, address, and college district. You can look up your state representative here.

All practitioner system partners (FACCC, ASCCC, SSCCC, CCLC, and CCCCO) agree that Berman must strike the automatic placement in the ADT pathway from the bill. We are setting a dangerous precedent to allow a bill sponsored by an outside interest group to modify our educational pathways dramatically.

Sample email to your Senator:

Dear Senator,

I am deeply opposed to AB 928 (Berman), which, among other changes, would automatically place students in an Associate Degree for Transfer (ADT). The California Community Colleges Chancellor's Office estimates this would cost each campus $1,150,000 on average, yet no additional funding is tied to this legislation.

In addition to the extremely high cost of implementing this bill, I oppose the automatic placement of students in an ADT pathway. AB 928 overlooks many students, specifically place-bound and first-generation students, who may not plan on transferring or hope to transfer to a UC, private school, or out-of-state institution. Furthermore, automatic placement into a transfer program without consent from a student goes against the Guided Pathway framework of flexible transfer pipelines with a definitive placement that you, the Senate Committee on Education, the State Senate, and the Assembly have been funding and directing our institutions to implement. Finally, while ADTs guarantee a spot at a CSU, they do not guarantee admission at the local CSU. Providing students with better information about their pathway options would afford them self-agency, which leads to closing equity gaps. Similar to the single pathway provision in the above paragraph, this item requires more discussion and should be removed from the legislation. Instead, charge the committee with discussing how to better leverage these pathways for students.

Please vote NO on AB 928.

Thank you,

Include name
Home address (so the Senator knows you are a constituent)
Your College

Thank you and please reach out if you have any questions,

Wendy

---

Wendy Brill-Wynkoop
Professor of Photography, College of the Canyons
President, Faculty Association of California Community Colleges

Proud member of FACCC - The statewide professional membership association that advocates solely for all California Community College faculty.

Raeanne Napoleon

Aug 28, 2021, 10:21:42 AM8/28/21
to CCCSenates
Hi,

I'd like to share this with faculty on my campus via email and/or my Senate President's report, but I'm hesitant only because I don't want to get myself into trouble.  Can anyone advise me: if I did include this information, would that be considered "political activity"? (SBCC has clear APs and BPs against that). Or could I share it in an informational way that is "just the facts"?

Probably a question that is better suited for my HR department, or someone else very familiar with our BPs and APs, but I thought asking here would be helpful too.

Thanks in advance for any advice. I really appreciate knowing about this - I agree - this worries me!

Raeanne

Suman Mudunuri

Aug 28, 2021, 10:38:09 AM8/28/21
to cccse...@googlegroups.com
Hi Raeanne,

This is a curriculum matter and I would discuss it with your Executive Board. I shared it with our Legislative Liasion and Curriculum Chair.

I will be meeting with my Exec prior to our first Senate meeting to discuss it. Hope this helps as a starting point.

Suman Mudunuri, MBA
Academic Senate President '21-'23
Professor, Computer and Office Studies
She/Her/Hers

Aug 28, 2021, 1:17:16 PM8/28/21
to cccse...@googlegroups.com
Raenne,

my personal opinion only as a past local senate president (and FACCC member) would be to forward this to faculty and admin freely. You can introduce it with a short note, and I would. You might say something like, for those with interest or express your personal support (if you support the letter). You can surely at least note that ASCCC passed a resolution.

But, in my view, the local senates need to not only inform their faculty of critical legislation, they need to encourage advocacy as well. ASCCC, FACCC, and the League (who represent Boards of Trustee and upper admin) are in opposition to the same piece of the bill. That's a remarkable fact.

Troy Myers
Sacramento City College

Aug 28, 2021, 2:11:46 PM8/28/21
to cccse...@googlegroups.com
Given that ASCCC has opposed the bill, it seems like reporting that (perhaps in you report to the senate), would be well within the expectations of your roll and it would be pretty difficult to make the case that sharing with your senate a position taken by ASCCC (and CCCCO, for that matter) would be considered political activity.

A related note:  ASCCC would like each college to have a Legislative Liaison, who would report legislative activity tracked by ASCCC to the local senates.  If SBCC has such a liaison, they would be reporting that to your senate as part of their duties.

Matt Clark
Woodland Community College

Kim Perigo

Aug 28, 2021, 6:25:07 PM8/28/21
to cccse...@googlegroups.com

I am guessing but would think your BP and AP have more to do with using district resources such as email to solicit donations and votes if you were running for an office--just suggesting looking at it for deeper clarification. I agree with Suman that this is a 10+1 issue so the Senate should be able to freely discuss and act. I also agree with Matt that ASCCC as well as the CCCCO' s office has taken up a position on this so reporting that in Senate with their suggestions for advocacy would be appropriate business. I also feel that if nothing else, it could be shared in open comments at your Senate Meeting. Also, if your BP/AP does not provide clarity on what your district would consider "political" I would ask your Senate president to bring it up for discussion with the powers that be in your District. Virtually everything we do in faculty leadership is political. How, when and if we should do something could all be deemed political so I would make sure the policy cannot be weaponized to shut down your ability to do advocacy. In this case, those in operations at all levels seems to agree this is a bad bill, I can't imagine you'd get much pushback. I would encourage you and everyone out there to get active on this one.

Wheeler North

Aug 28, 2021, 7:27:53 PM8/28/21
to 'Shaw, Leigh Anne' via CCCSenates
Hi All,

The relevant ed code is 7054, but it does not specifically speak to supporting or opposing legislation. It just focuses on candidates and ballot initiatives. You may have local policies though.

Wheeler

"(a) No school district or community college district funds, services, supplies, or equipment shall be used for the purpose of urging the support or defeat of any ballot measure or candidate, including, but not limited to, any candidate for election to the governing board of the district.

(b) Nothing in this section shall prohibit the use of any of the public resources described in subdivision (a) to provide information to the public about the possible effects of any bond issue or other ballot measure if both of the following conditions are met:

(1) The informational activities are otherwise authorized by the Constitution or laws of this state.

(2) The information provided constitutes a fair and impartial presentation of relevant facts to aid the electorate in reaching an informed judgment regarding the bond issue or ballot measure.

(c) A violation of this section shall be a misdemeanor or felony punishable by imprisonment in a county jail not exceeding one year or by a fine not exceeding one thousand dollars ($1,000), or by both, or imprisonment pursuant to subdivision (h) of Section 1170 of the Penal Code for 16 months, or two or three years."

On Aug 28, 2021, at 07:21, Raeanne Napoleon <rlnap...@pipeline.sbcc.edu> wrote:

[EXTERNAL Email: Do not click any links or open attachments if you do not trust the sender and know the content is safe.]

Uyeki, Chisato

Aug 30, 2021, 1:39:34 PM8/30/21
to cccse...@googlegroups.com

Our legislative liaison regularly shares this type of information during her report to Senate. And will often include what the ASCCC and other state groups’ positions.

(As Wheeler pointed out- that’s not to say what your local policies might say).

Best,

Chisa

E. Chisato Uyeki

Academic Senate President