The Free Library

Rachel Becker

May 22, 2024, 2:23:20 PMMay 22
to CCCOER Community Email
Hello,

I am wondering if anyone has experience with The Free Library: https://www.thefreelibrary.com/.

From what I gathered it's a site with not so ethically obtained resources. If faculty use these resources are they violating copyright?

Thanks everyone!

Rachel Becker
Copyright & Open Educational Resources Librarian
Madison Area Technical College
Madison, WI

Alan Levine

May 23, 2024, 1:29:10 PMMay 23
to CCCOER Community Email
No direct experience, but on inspection I'd avoid it. They have copied the text of copyrighted published articles, and offer citations to only the Free Library site, e.g.,the bottom copyright statement makes it clearly a violated use

https://www.thefreelibrary.com/The+decreasing+excludability+of+digital+music%3a+implications+for...-a0349903271

 Plus, their terms of use make it clear you can't copy it

It looks like a site designed to bait to see ads.

Alan

Rowena McKernan

May 24, 2024, 2:27:19 PMMay 24
to Rachel Becker, CCCOER Community Email

It would depend on WHAT they are using and HOW they are using it.  I wouldn’t necessarily direct people to this resource but any Fair Use analysis is always highly contextual.