Call for Participation: Open for Antiracism (OFAR) in California Community Colleges

Una Daly

Aug 10, 2022, 3:44:32 PM8/10/22
to Una Daly, Glapa-Grossklag, James

Call for Participation: Open for Antiracism (OFAR) in California Community Colleges (2022-23)

We are pleased to announce the Call for Participation in the Open for Antiracism Program (OFAR) for 2022-23. Our 3rd year builds on the success of our first two cohorts, with participating faculty telling us that they significantly increased their application of antiracist pedagogy and use of Open Educational Resources.

Do you want to make your teaching practices and instructional materials more antiracist? Do you wish that your course materials incorporated and supported the voices and experiences of all your students?  Are you concerned about the cost of commercial course materials that don’t support equitable student learning?

We are seeking teams of faculty from California Community Colleges (CCC) who wish to make their teaching and instructional materials antiracist to join a statewide Open for AntiRacism (OFAR) Faculty Cohort running from September 2022 through June 2023.

If selected, your team will complete a 6-week, facilitated online course from October to November 2022, introducing these major topics: What Is Antiracism? What Are Open Educational Resources (OER) and Open Pedagogy? How Can They Support Antiracist Pedagogy?

Each team member will create an individual action plan for the spring term to integrate OER and open pedagogy to make teaching and learning antiracist. Deliverables might include a revised history class that now includes a module on Juneteenth, or a revised biology text in which students replace images of all-white bodies with images that better reflect their communities.

Why Now?

Protests for racial justice sparked organizations to release public statements decrying systemic racism and calling to change hiring practices, disaggregate student data, and add equity to strategic plans. However laudable these public statements might be, they often call for actions that are removed from teaching practices.

This is the ideal time to educate and empower faculty to move beyond statements on institutional websites and enact concrete approaches in their classrooms, by harnessing key affordances of OER and open pedagogy to introduce antiracist content and practices into classrooms.

Our working definition of antiracism refers to actions that identify, interrogate, and alter the values, structures and behaviors that perpetuate systemic racism. We approach this work with humility and a desire to learn together.

Team Applications

For this third year of OFAR, we ask that applications be submitted by teams of four to six faculty from the same college. When selecting your team, we encourage you to include adjunct faculty and to identify a team leader. We cannot accept applications from individuals.

Participation in the OFAR program is limited to 40 faculty (full-time or adjunct). Participants who complete the program earn a stipend of $3,500.

Application

The timeline for applications and the start of the program is below:
  • Informational webinar offered on August 26
  • Applications are due by September 7 (closes at 5pm Pacific Time)
  • Notifications will be sent by September 23
  • Required participant kick-off meeting on September 30, 12 - 1 pm Pacific Time
  • Facilitated online course runs October 10 – November 26
Full details of the application are at the OFAR Call for Participation webpage. Also, you can see instructions for preparing to complete the OFAR Application Survey Questions.

Questions?

Thank you!

Una
Una Daly
Director, Community College Consortium for OER (CCCOER)
Open Education Global
unat...@oeglobal.org