OER House/Storage

owenscclibrary

Aug 12, 2022, 11:41:25 AM8/12/22
to cccoer-...@googlegroups.com, lib...@sparcopen.org

Hello everyone!
I am a new OER librarian at a community college in Ohio. I am also new to OER.

A lot of the staff/faculty in my college have been using OERs (yay!), but they have been doing so on their own. Which isn’t bad, it just means that there are OERs everywhere. Talking with some staff they have expressed that there is no place to store and share their OERs (they mean share with coworkers.). So, we would like to centralize them and have a place to collaborate/share.

The amount of platforms and repositories online are overwhelming and I was wondering if I could ask you all a few things:

  • What are you currently using to house/store/keep together/etc. the OERs at your institution?
  • What do you and your staff like and dislike about it?
  • Management wise, who is managing your OER house? Is it a team or a singular person?

I am currently looking into Pressbooks (even though I heard that they are raising their rates and changing some things in Sept ), Libretexts, and Ohiolink Hub.

Thank you so much for your time and advice in advance!

Alex Armstrong (she/her)

Librarian, Digital Technology

Owens Community College

Your Success Starts Here

(567) 661 - 7018

alexandria...@owens.edu

John McLeod

Aug 12, 2022, 12:00:59 PM8/12/22
to CCCOER Community Email
Hi Alex,

It's great to see these questions, welcome to OER and good luck on your journey.

There are many in this group that can tell you about their personal experience but I'll just direct you to a resource that came out this year from the Rebus Community, The OER Starter Kit for Program Managers. This resource was written by authors and contributors from many institutions across North America with many years of experience growing OER publishing programs. I hope it can help.

Thank you,
John

pamratvasky

Aug 16, 2022, 3:24:15 PM8/16/22
to CCCOER Community Email

Hello Alex,
I am not sure my message went through here, but I also sent you an email.
I would be happy to assist with OER at Owens. I have done some previous presentations on OER with the faculty at Owens. My role is grant-funded.

Pam Ratvasky, Ph.D.

OER Instructional Designer

Quality Matters Peer Reviewer

North Central State College

2441 Kenwood Circle

Mansfield, OH 44906​

prat...@ncstatecollege.edu

614-946-0843 (cell)

owenscclibrary

Aug 17, 2022, 2:39:24 PM8/17/22
to cccoer-...@googlegroups.com, lib...@sparcopen.org
Hello Everyone!
I hope I am doing this correctly, but I wanted to give a small update and say thanks for my initial post OER House/Storage!
I just wanted to reach out and say thank you so so so very much to those who responded and those who reached out to me! I have already connected with a handful of wonderful people and I am looking forward to talking to them and gathering more information!
The small update is that it's been brought to my attention that there are some inaccurate rumors surrounding Pressbooks. I in no way meant to further spread those inaccuracies. If you have any questions or want to get the correct info about Pressbooks,  I highly suggest you contact Pressbooks directly. The people I have talked to so far are very nice and helpful!
By all means please keep the information/conversation going.
Thanks again!