Press Release announcing Year 3 of Open for Antiracism

Una Daly

Nov 2, 2022, 1:27:21 PM11/2/22
to CCCOER Community Email, Una Daly
Dear CCCOER Community,

I wanted to share the press release below from CCCOER at Open Education Global about the launch of Year 3 of the Open for Antiracism that we co-lead with College of the Canyons and is generously supported by the Hewlett Foundation You can also read more about this program, leadership team perspectives, and the projects that participants have undertaken with their students to make their classrooms antiracist with OER and open pedagogy with these links.

Best Regards,
Una

Open Education Program Tackles Antiracism in California College Classrooms for Third Year

The Open for Anti-Racism program — known as OFAR — is a year-long program that guides faculty on the discovery of Open Educational Resources (OER) and open pedagogy as tools for developing antiracist teaching practices and materials. It begins with a 6-week online course where faculty learn about antiracism, OER, and open pedagogy and produce an action plan to implement antiracist pedagogy the following semester with their students.

"Having students create the materials for the course and reflect on both the process and the product has been magical. I am reaching students in ways I never had before. I've never had such a strong classroom community as I've had this semester." –– OFAR participant

The program was envisioned in the summer of 2020 on the premise that faculty wanted to transform their classrooms to be antiracist but needed training and tools, and that OER and open pedagogy could provide those tools. Faculty response has been overwhelming with over 300 applications for 17 positions in the first year. Ninety percent of the initial cohort reported their teaching practices had improved and 88% of students reported increased engagement.

Over the past two years, the program has more than doubled the number of participants it serves, training nearly 100 faculty at 28 colleges. Institutional support for and the impact of antiracist teaching have been enhanced by moving to a college team model. Previous participants are tapped as advisors for new, larger cohorts enabling the program to expand and extend leadership opportunities. Faculty use of OER continues to increase and administrators are making space for participating teams to share their learning.

“In year 3, college teams are exploring leadership opportunities for students such as inviting students to be team advisors, participate in workshops, co-present on campus, or create and review antiracist materials,” explains Una Daly, OFAR co-director.

------------------------------
Una Daly
Director, CCCOER
Open Education Global

Check out our webinars: https://www.cccoer.org/webinar/

Barbara Illowsky

Nov 2, 2022, 1:30:03 PM11/2/22
to Una Daly, CCCOER Community Email, Una Daly
Una, James, and others,

Congratulations on continuing with this vital program. It serves all of us so much.

Have a great day!
Barbara Illowsky, PhD
Professor of Mathematics & Statistics, Emerita
          De Anza College
      @DrBSI

2013 International Educator ACE Award for OpenCourseWare Excellence, Open Education Consortium

"Disabilities don't hold people back. Barriers do."- Haben Girma at MediaX 2016

 "Learning is not attained by chance; it must be sought for with ardor and attended to with diligence." -- Abigail Adams, 1780

Nov 2, 2022, 2:14:10 PM11/2/22
to Barbara Illowsky, Una Daly, CCCOER Community Email, Una Daly
Plus-one from me! Kudos to Una, James, and the other members of this team :) Amy

--
Amy Hofer (she/her)
Statewide Open Education Program Director