American Government Audiobook

Henderson Barrick, Brian G

Nov 8, 2022, 6:46:09 PM11/8/22
to cccoer-...@googlegroups.com

Textbook CoverDear OER Leaders,

I am pleased to share a new OER resource with you.  An audiobook adaption of the OpenStax American Government 3e textbook is now available for Political Science students and instructors.  This a very popular OER textbook that is widely used in Introduction to US Government courses throughout the country.  The audio recordings are now available on a number of platforms, including Spotify, Apple Podcasts, YouTube, and on our project website [https://www.openaudio.us].

I would be grateful if you would share this resource with Political Science instructors at your institution.

Background:

I use the OpenStax American Government textbook for my Introduction to US Government courses.  As an auditory learner myself, I have personally learned a tremendous amount from podcasts and audiobooks.  This gave me the idea to combine my interests in higher education, political science, and emerging technologies and produce an audiobook adaptation of the text for learners throughout the nation.  This textbook may be especially helpful for students with disabilities, auditory learners, and students who speak English as a second language.  Many students listen to the audio while simultaneously reading the text.

Engagement:

As of today, the project has received the following levels of listener engagement:

  • Podcast Downloads/Streams: 2,600+
  • YouTube Views: 8,400+
  • YouTube Hours Streamed: 2,877

Listener Feedback:

Below are comments from real students using this audiobook resource:

  • “This audiobook was so helpful! I have a learning disability and learn better when I read the text while also listening to it. I hate having to use text-to-speech [software] because of how it sounds. However, this was amazing. Thank you!”
  • “Thank you so much for making this! I am a student who works 12 hour shifts. Having this allows me to listen to the text and then go home and read it. It has helped me immensely and my grade shows it! I wish I had this same opportunity in my other classes!”
  • “Great voice. Great textbook. Outstanding audiobook. Thank you!”

Instructor Resources:

Students can already access all 17 chapters of high quality audio recordings.  An instructor Canvas shell is currently being developed, making it easier to incorporate the recordings into Canvas.  The Canvas shell will be available by the end of this year, and will be posted to Canvas Commons and the OpenStax Instructor Resources page.  Thank you to CC-ECHO for providing the funding for this project.

I would love to see increased adoption of this resource as instructors begin planning for their Winter and Spring semester courses.  I am glad to discuss the project with anyone who may wish to connect.

Respectfully,

BRIAN BARRICK
Instructor, Political Science | Los Angeles Harbor College
1111 Figueroa Place, Wilmington, CA 90744

Corrie Bergeron

Nov 9, 2022, 9:18:59 AM11/9/22
to Henderson Barrick, Brian G, cccoer-...@googlegroups.com
Brian, thanks for sharing this. I've passed it on to our POLS faculty.

In addition to the Canvas course shell, please consider a Common Cartridge version as well so that it can be imported into other LMSs.

For fast help with classroom technology, Webex, or Panopto, call 525-7129 or email I...@lakelandcc.edu
Corrie Bergeron, M.Ed.
Instructional Designer & Learning Systems Administrator
Instructional Technologies Division
Lakeland Community College