Fw: Changes to OpenStax's distributor

Maloney, Ame

Jun 17, 2024, 3:29:20 PMJun 17
to CCCOER Advisory, Chak, Kevin
Good afternoon folks,

I am wondering how each of your institutions is responding to the change of distributor for OpenStax's Higher Ed print materials?

Has anyone already worked with Kendall Hunt as the proxy for OpenStax print sales? Can you share how this experience has been for your institution?

Looking forward to your feedback.

Best regards,
Ame

Ame Maloney

(she/her/hers/ella/她)

Faculty Services Librarian | ZTC Program Lead | ASCCC OER Liaison | CCCCO ZTC Coach

Resources for Students | Resources for Employees

This is interesting…

OpenStax’s main distributor was XanEdu.  XanEdu just sold their Higher Ed unit to Kendall Hunt…

As of May 14, 2024, the assets of XanEdu Higher Education have been purchased by Kendall Hunt Publishing Company. Please direct all future XanEdu Higher Education inquiries to xanedu...@kendallhunt.com or (800) 228-0810. Please note: This sale does not affect XanEdu’s K12 operations. Please direct all XanEdu K12 inquiries to your current contact or XanEdu Customer Service at sup...@scholarus.com.

Kevin Chak
Store Manager

Skyline College Bookstore
3300 College Drive; Bldg 6
San Bruno, CA 94066

Phone: 650-738-4212
Fax: 650-738-4309
Voice Mail: 650-738-4449
E-Mail: ch...@smccd.edu
Web: http://bookstore.SkylineCollege.edu

Schedule a meeting with me at https://calendly.com/chak-skybook

Daniel Williamson

Jun 18, 2024, 10:42:17 AMJun 18
to CCCOER Community Email
Good morning all,

OpenStax has been working closely with Xanedu and Kendall Hunt during this transition, and we believe that Kendall Hunt will be an excellent print partner as we move forward together. Kendall Hunt has been active in the OER space for quite some time through their involvement with Illustrative Mathematics and several other OER programs at the K12 level. During our initial meetings, the Kendall Hunt team has been very proactive in making sure that the experience for OpenStax adopters, students, and bookstores will be as seamless as possible.

Revenue from print sales remains a vital component of OpenStax’s sustainability model allowing us to keep our content up-to-date and continue serving the millions of students relying on OpenStax for their learning materials. While other groups may print copies of our titles, we have found that historically those versions tend to have a considerably higher cost or significantly lower quality. For those interested in custom adaptions of any OpenStax title, our new partner, Kendall Hunt, is and has been the leader in this space for quite some time.

We are excited about our emerging partnership with Kendall Hunt, and should you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact me or any of my colleagues.

Sincerely,
Daniel Williamson

Daniel Williamson
MANAGING DIRECTOR