EDI Summer Book Club starts this Thursday, June 13, at 3 PM EDT

Wayde Oshiro

Jun 10, 2024, 3:28:37 PMJun 10
to CCCOER Advisory

Hi CCCOER Community,

The wait is over! The 4th annual Summer Book Club starts this Thursday, June 13, at 3 PM Eastern. This year’s community-driven selection is Academic Ableism: Disability and Higher Education (Corporealities: Discourses of Disability) by Jay T. Dolmage is CC BY-NC-ND 3.0 (download PDF for free)

We invite everyone interested in the intersection of OER and EDI to join us this summer as we explore ableism in higher education, which, according to Dolmage, “renders disability as abject, invisible, disposable, less than human, while able-bodiedness is represented as at once ideal, normal, and the mean or default.”

Book Club Schedule

Synchronous meetings are held on Thursdays, 3 PM Eastern/2 PM Central/1 PM Mountain/12 PM Pacific/9 AM Hawaii-Aleutian Time. Sessions are 1-1.5 hours in length. Registration is required for these meetings. Asynchronous discussions will be offered via OEG Connect.

  1. June 13 Introduction & 1. Steep Steps

  2. June 27 2. The Retrofit

  3. July 11 3. Imaginary College Student

  4. July 25 4. Universal Design

  5. August 8 5. Disability on Campus, on Film: Framing the Failures of Higher Education

Register today for the Summer Book Club.

The EDI Committee invites you to join this year’s book club to engage in thoughtful and purposeful discussion to advance equity, diversity, and inclusion in Open Education. We look forward to seeing and hearing from you soon!

Sincerely,

Andrea, Ted, Lauren, and Wayde

CCCOER EDI Committee

--
Wayde Oshiro (he/him)
Interim Learning Commons and Library Coordinator, Leeward Community College