Tracking Where Open textbooks Go

Alan Levine

Oct 31, 2022, 3:41:41 PM10/31/22
to CCCOER Community Email

In different conversations this past month with two colleagues who authored or help support publishing open textbooks at their institution, an issue came up that I have no answer for (that is a norm).

Both mentioned they typically know of an adoption of an open textbook when:

  • An adopter emails with a question
  • A web search on the title of the book lands links at other organizations/institutions

Just doing a quick look at two collections I know, both at eCampusOntario and at BCcampus they ask for adopters to let them know via a web form. I would hope that gathers some reuse, but always, always, in terms of open content, the elusive question is being able to track where a digital item is reused.

My question is: Is tracking reuses possible with open textbooks? Who is doing this? How?

My hunch was some possibility with Digital Object Identifiers...

More on this I posted in OEG Connect, but will share both ways.

https://connect.oeglobal.org/t/tracking-where-open-textbooks-go/4333