Scheduling preference for ZTC/Low-Cost?

Lisa Storm

Sep 21, 2022, 9:41:36 AM9/21/22
to CCCOER Advisory
Hello!

Do any institutions use the right of assignment to implement a scheduling preference for faculty that have adopted ZTC/Low-Cost?  This would be similar to a seniority preference.  For example, if two sections can be scheduled, and one faculty member has adopted ZTC/Low-Cost and the other has adopted a high-priced textbook, the administrator will schedule the ZTC/Low-Cost section.

Please let me know.  Thanks!

--
Lisa M. Storm
Senior Administration of Justice and Business faculty member, Hartnell College, hartnell.edu

Amy Hofer

Sep 21, 2022, 12:28:43 PM9/21/22
to Lisa Storm, CCCOER Advisory
Hi Lisa, I haven't heard of this so I'll be interested to see the replies!

Two colleagues and I did a research study and found that the no-cost/low-cost schedule designation does affect student enrollment behavior (with the usual caveats about our sample, research limitations, etc). We've submitted a paper and will be presenting on our findings at the Open Ed Conference: https://opened22.sched.com/event/1AmX9/schedule-designation-and-enrollment-research-results-finally

We interpret these findings to mean that administrators should take additional care not to place precarious faculty at a disadvantage that might cause their course not to "make." For example, if a part-time faculty member doesn't have the option or resources to adopt OER, they can be scheduled for sections that are likely to fill for other reasons (day, time, modality, etc).

I think that your model could be seen as a help to departments looking for enrollments, since designated courses do see higher enrollment (in our data set). I think the implementation would need to be done carefully and with input from part-time and non-tenure-track faculty to make sure that they aren't inadvertently harmed along the way.

Two cents! Please write back to the list to let us know what you decide to do.

Amy

--
If you have any questions about or technical difficulties with this email list, contact liz...@oeglobal.org
To find out more or be added to this list visit https://www.cccoer.org/community-email/

Amy Hofer (she/her)
Statewide Open Education Program Director

Lisa Storm

Sep 21, 2022, 2:34:08 PM9/21/22
to Amy Hofer, CCCOER Advisory
Thanks Amy!  I am unsure how this will shake out, and that is why I decided to start by asking this listserv.

I will definitely survey local faculty first, and if and when I do I will share the results.

I survey students and faculty every year.  Between 96% and 98% of our students would enroll in a course section that has adopted a ZTC or Low-Cost resource over one that has not- disregarding time, place, modality-so I know ZTC/Low-Cost are enrollment drivers.

I will keep you updated!