Looking for TESOL Level 3 Speaking/Listening OER Texts/Resources

Harmon, Sarah

Nov 29, 2022, 2:57:02 PM11/29/22
to CCCOER Community Email

Heyyas OER Community!

I’m working with my ESL faculty to find a good text for ESL 913, which is a Level 3 speaking and listening course. I’m attaching the course outline of record, but in a nutshell this course is a high-intermediate ESL course that interlaces reading skills with oral production. There are two publisher texts that my faculty have been using, but are increasingly unhappy with them:

  • Craven, M., K. D, Sherman. Q Skills for Success 3 Listening & Speaking Student Book, 2nd ed. New York: Oxford University Press, 2015
  • Miller, J.L. and Cohen R.F.. Longman Academic Reading Series Book 3: Reading Skills for College with Essential Online Resources, 1st ed. White Plains, New York: Pearson Education, Inc., 2017

We found a few options out there, but they are either too low or they don’t quite help with the skills that are being required:

That said, we’re wondering what else is being used out there, and are asking folks for their recomme3ndations. We’re seeing that there are quite a few resources for grammar/writing courses (and my ESL faculty are quickly adopting them!), but for listening/speaking courses there is a bit of a dearth. So any help would be appreciated!

I’m happy to share out any suggestions that come my way, too.

Thank you in advance,

--s

Sarah Harmon, Ph.D.

Adjunct Professor of Spanish and Linguistics

OER/ZTC Coordinator, ASCCC OERI Liaison

Co-chair, District Academic Senate Standing Committee on Teaching and Learning (DTL)

Cañada College

Office: 9-355

Email: har...@smccd.edu

Google Voicemail: 650-260-5338

Sign up for office hours/appointments via my Calendly Scheduler

ESL 913 Course Outline.pdf

Amy Hofer

Nov 30, 2022, 8:05:17 PM11/30/22
to Harmon, Sarah, CCCOER Community Email
Hi Sarah,

Oregon's ESOL community is creating a ton of great open content which you can browse here: http://openoregon.org/resources/?discipline=ESOL

FYI,
Amy

--
If you have any questions about or technical difficulties with this email list, contact liz...@oeglobal.org
To find out more or be added to this list visit https://www.cccoer.org/community-email/

Amy Hofer (she/her)
Statewide Open Education Program Director