Austin Creative Commons Salon - Health Commons, Open Animation

1 view

Rich Vázquez

Jun 6, 2008, 3:24:32 PM6/6/08
to ccau...@googlegroups.com
This month the Austin Creative Commons group will discuss the Health Commons and begin to look at Open Source movies.

Jon Lebkowsky of Social Web Strategies and the e-Patients Group will talk about the democratization of medical knowledge, participatory medicine, and the recent launch of the Health Commons, potentially "a virtual marketplace or ecosystem where participants share data, knowledge, materials and services to accelerate research."

Anyone with questions about Creative Commons can attend and we'll try to answer any questions or discuss aspects of CC licensing.  For a quick video overview of Creative Commons, see:

We will also look at Bug Buck Bunny, the latest movie made with Open Source software Blender.  This short animated film releases all of it's assets and content under Creative Commons (CC-BY).

We will meet at Cafe Caffeine on Wednesday, June 18th starting at 7:30.

Creative Commons is a an easy licensing method used by artists, musicians and writers worldwide to allow others to use their work according to a set of guidelines you select, including control over any profits. It increases the creativity and profile of those who share in the licenses.

The CC Salon is a monthly event focused on building a community of artists and developers  around Creative Commons licenses, standards, and technology. Come each  month to meet others who license using Creative Commons technology or  work with technology implement it. We try to have presenters, but also openly discuss other CC issues.

We are also looking for artists or presenters who might want to show their work or offer some insight to the commons.
If you're interested in presenting or want more information, e-mail:

Group Discussion List:
Event Page

Venue:

Let us know you're coming.

Bryan Bishop

Jun 6, 2008, 3:47:44 PM6/6/08
to ccau...@googlegroups.com
On Friday 06 June 2008, Rich Vázquez wrote:
> Jon Lebkowsky of Social Web Strategies and the e-Patients Group will
> talk about the democratization of medical knowledge, participatory
> medicine, and the recent launch of the Health Commons, potentially "a
> virtual marketplace or ecosystem where participants share data,
> knowledge, materials and services to accelerate research."

It's nice to see Jon in another place. I think I last saw him half a
year ago over at a cryonoics meeting for CryoFeast 08 north of Austin.

Re: the democritization of medical knowledge, there's also a
democritization of do-it-yourself medical technology:

http://biohack.sf.net/

The DIY synthetic biology toolkit is expanding towards a physical
implementation of a self-replicating kit containing all of the
components required to modify organisms and produce the pharmaceuticals
people need to generally Not Die.

- Bryan
http://heybryan.org/