Creative Commons Sound Samples OLPC

1 view

Rich Vázquez

Mar 28, 2008, 10:12:07 PM3/28/08
to Austin Salon
As a follow up to our recent music discussion, Here is a new release of
many sound loops free for use (with attribution). I only have a portion
of it downloaded so far, so can't offer a full review.

-------------

the story:
http://www.thumbuki.com/20080325/olpc-donates-85-gigs-of-samples.html

the samples:

Over 8.5GB of FREE Samples – Sound Effects, Loops, Grooves, Drums,
Voices and Instruments – for The Children of the World. This huge and
continuously expanding collection of new and original samples have been
donated to Dr. Richard Boulanger @ cSounds.com specifically to support
the OLPC developers, students and XO users. They are free and will be
available under a CC-BY license for downloading and use in your music
and activities. Each of the 6500+ samples is 16-bit, WAV, Mono,
normalized to -3dB, and provided at 3 sample rates - 44.1K, 22.5K and 16K.

http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Sound_samples

Alexandre

Mar 29, 2008, 10:50:00 AM3/29/08
to Austin Creative Commons
Thanks a lot for the link!!

I've been trying out the OLPC's XO-1 laptop (loan from a friend) and
had hadn't noticed the samples.
Boulanger has been pretty active in electronic music circles for quite
a while. 'Figures.
Csound itself could be described (as strange as it sounds) as the TeX
of electronic music. It's free software (LGPL) and has been part of a
number of cutting edge music projects for twenty-odd years. If you
know how to code and have some interest in music creation, it's an
important tool to try.
Jean Piché used Csound to develop Cecilia (with Alexandre Burton) and
TamTam (the OLPC music software.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Csound

On Mar 28, 9:12 pm, Rich Vázquez <rich.vazq...@gmail.com> wrote:
> As a follow up to our recent music discussion, Here is a new release of
> many sound loops free for use (with attribution). I only have a portion
> of it downloaded so far, so can't offer a full review.
>
> -------------
>
> the story:http://www.thumbuki.com/20080325/olpc-donates-85-gigs-of-samples.html
>
> the samples:
>
> Over 8.5GB of FREE Samples - Sound Effects, Loops, Grooves, Drums,
> Voices and Instruments - for The Children of the World. This huge and

Alexandre

Mar 29, 2008, 1:27:09 PM3/29/08
to Austin Creative Commons
My friend Alex Burton (who worked with Jean Piché before TamTam) sent
me this link to another site for CC soundfiles:
http://freesound.iua.upf.edu/