Molecular Geometry (VSEPR Models) for New JS Interactives

Max Helmetag

Mar 26, 2015, 1:32:32 AM3/26/15
to cc-dev...@googlegroups.com
Hey all,

I loved molecular geometry, lattices and orbitals when I studied chemistry in high school and a bit at college. I thought it would be a cool idea to make a JS interactive (much like some of the examples that I've seen on the CC site) that would illustrate free electron clouds, bond angles, molecular geometry, valence electrons and electronegatively.

I think that the interactive could have a dropdown of a few common atoms (probably just some simple ones like C, N, H, Cl, F, O, etc) and students could arrange those atoms to make molecules. Based on the amount of paired electrons, free electrons and atoms, the program would shape the molecule and display it's bond angles and such.

Could be a cool idea. I've mostly just thought of mockups and the like. I don't have much experience with JS but...

I can make some assumptions like: each atom will have properties like valence electrons, CPK (atomic color coding for models) coloring, atomic symbol, full name label, etc all stored in an object. And then it would be all about writing functions about their interactions with each other.

I wonder if this is the right place to share... well... here I go anyways.

-- Max

Daniel Damelin

Mar 27, 2015, 4:59:50 PM3/27/15
to cc-dev...@googlegroups.com
Hi Max,

This is an interesting idea. We have at least one simple interactive along these lines:

One of the Java-based activities we have that fall under the project titled “Moving popular Java-based activities to HTML5” is our Molecular Geometry activity: http://mw2.concord.org/tmp.jnlp?address=http://mw2.concord.org/public/part2/molgeo/index.cml

If you worked on that project then we would want you to create the interactives found in this activity.

I believe Scott suggested you check out the posts on the cc-developers list to better understand the frameworks we are using to build these interactives. If you are interested in building something that uses JSMol (the modeling engine that displays the 3D molecular structures) there is a bit more than is already discussed on this list, but I could provide more information on how to get started with that.

-Dan

----
post message :cc-dev...@googlegroups.com