Spoken math text service

1 view

Greg Kearney

Oct 12, 2018, 9:47:50 AM10/12/18
to cb...@googlegroups.com
Members;

The Commonwealth Braille and Talking Book Cooperative is now able to offer a service that converts math expressions into phrases suitable for narration or as alt text for images. Input can be in the form of TeX math expressions, or even images. Output can be in several forms including MathML, and images with alt text descriptions.

Here is an example

The TeX math expression:

u=\frac{-y}{x^2+y^2}\,,\quad
v=\frac{x}{x^2+y^2}\,,\quad\text{and}\quad
w=0\,.

Renders as this:

The spoken text for alt text or other use is this:

u equals the fraction with numerator negative y and denominator x squared plus y squared comma v equals the fraction with numerator x and denominator x squared plus y squared comma and w equals 0 period

The MathML for use in situations where screen readers or Braille translations will be employed is as follows:

<math xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1998/Math/MathML" display="block">
  <mi>u</mi>
  <mo>=</mo>
  <mfrac>
    <mrow>
      <mo>&#x2212;<!-- − --></mo>
      <mi>y</mi>
    </mrow>
    <mrow>
      <msup>
        <mi>x</mi>
        <mn>2</mn>
      </msup>
      <mo>+</mo>
      <msup>
        <mi>y</mi>
        <mn>2</mn>
      </msup>
    </mrow>
  </mfrac>
  <mspace width="thinmathspace" />
  <mo>,</mo>
  <mspace width="1em" />
  <mi>v</mi>
  <mo>=</mo>
  <mfrac>
    <mi>x</mi>
    <mrow>
      <msup>
        <mi>x</mi>
        <mn>2</mn>
      </msup>
      <mo>+</mo>
      <msup>
        <mi>y</mi>
        <mn>2</mn>
      </msup>
    </mrow>
  </mfrac>
  <mspace width="thinmathspace" />
  <mo>,</mo>
  <mspace width="1em" />
  <mtext>and</mtext>
  <mspace width="1em" />
  <mi>w</mi>
  <mo>=</mo>
  <mn>0</mn>
  <mspace width="thinmathspace" />
  <mo>.</mo>
</math>

A few notes here. This service is intended to produce spoken descriptions of math. This is not a suitable substitute for either embedded MathML or for Braille applications where Nemeth or UEB math code should be used.

While I understand that this is a rather technical topic I am hopeful that some of you will find this service useful. Please feel free to send images or TeX expressions to in...@cbtbc.org and I will endeavour to convert them to spoken text form.

Commonwealth Braille & Talking Book Cooperative
Greg Kearney, General Manager
#320, 185-911 Yates Street
Victoria, BC V8V 4Y9
CANADA
Email: in...@cbtbc.org
Web: www.cbtbc.org

U.S. Address
2219 Melholland Road
Lawrence, KS 66047
UNITED STATES
Email: gkea...@gmail.com

Malta Society Blind

Oct 12, 2018, 10:05:35 AM10/12/18
to cb...@googlegroups.com, Joseph Stafrace, angelo borg, leone sciberras, Kevin Cutajar, Gavi Gozo, Alfred Reale, Daniela Abela, jo...@melita.com, Spero, David Bezzina
Many thanks for your communication dear Greg.
Glad you keep us posted.
Regards,
John

PastedGraphic-1.png