cBioPortal survival analysis help

doc....@gmail.com

Jul 22, 2016, 1:47:38 AM7/22/16
to cBioPortal for Cancer Genomics Discussion Group
dear cBioPortal team and users,

In cBioPortal's survival analysis (web portal), when stratifying samples into "with/without Cases with Alteration(s) in Query Gene(s)" based on a gene list, how is the overall with/without Cases with Alteration(s) groups in Query Gene(s) stratified (/calculated?

For example in http://bit.ly/2a4BeLT
Select Genomic Profiles: mRNA Expression z-Scores (RNA Seq V2 RSEM): Enter a z-score threshold ±:2
Tumor Samples with mRNA data (RNA Seq V2) (498 samples) / 40 Genes

I assume alteration here is mRNA Upregulation vs mRNA Downregulation for each gene. So, for each gene each sample has a z-score (indicate relative over- or under-expression for each gene in comparison to the rest of the cohort), but I am not sure where to go from here when it comes to dividing the samples into two distinct groups.

all the best,
doc golly

JianJiong Gao

Jul 22, 2016, 6:01:41 PM7/22/16
to doc....@gmail.com, cbiop...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

The samples were stratified based on your query. Basically in the
oncoprint, the ones with any alteration (mutation, cna, mrna up or
down) will be considered altered; and the other samples unaltered.

For mRNA expression, you may want to use Onco Query Language
(http://www.cbioportal.org/onco_query_lang_desc.jsp) to specify up- or
down-regulation. E.g. PTEN: exp<-2 will query for down-regulation
only.

Best,
-JJ