queries about conversion of raw data to log scale

Mukherjee, Nabanita

Jul 9, 2021, 3:10:45 PM7/9/21
to cbiop...@googlegroups.com
My name is Nabanita and I am a novice in the usage of cbioportal and trying to learn how to use the cbioportal in a right way.

I downloaded some data to see the expression of BCL2A1 gene in various cancers. My PI want me to convert the mRNA data in log2 scale and make a graph with that.
Some of the cancers such as ocular melanoma have very low expression of BCL2A1 and the value is stated as zero. What is the most reasonable way to convert zero to log scale? One of my colleague told me to convert the raw data to log2 scale with the “value+1” method. This can be done by adding +1 to the raw data values and then converting them to log2 values.

Is this a reasonable way to convert?

Thanks
Nabanita

Ino de Bruijn

Jul 14, 2021, 12:54:30 PM7/14/21
to Mukherjee, Nabanita, cbiop...@googlegroups.com
Hi Nabanita,

Thanks for reaching out!

We don't really provide recommendations on how to process data, but the approach you outlined seems reasonable to me

Thanks,
Ino

Mukherjee, Nabanita

Jul 15, 2021, 9:50:08 AM7/15/21