Local cBioPortal instance - data question

Joseph, Greg

Jun 30, 2021, 1:20:36 PM6/30/21
to cbiop...@googlegroups.com

Hello,

It is my understanding that the traditional dataflow for cBioPortal is that a study is uploaded once, and that the dataset for the study is assumed to be complete and final, with no new data expected. This is based on cBioPortal pulling data that is connected to a publication and that any new data or analysis would appear as a separate and unique publication. Is cBioPortal capable of handling the addition of new data to an existing study within a local cBioPortal instance?

I assume that if new data were to become available for an existing study, the developer/maintainer of the local database would have to use the MetaImport script to remove the existing study, then upload the study again with the newest versions of all required files. Is my understanding correct and is there a recommended workflow to follow for updating existing studies with new data?

Thank you,

Greg Joseph

Gregory Joseph, MS

Research Informatics Analyst

Winship DATA Shared Resource

Winship Cancer Institute at Emory University

1814 Clairmont Road

Decatur, GA 30033

prohibited.

Benjamin Gross

Jun 30, 2021, 2:56:37 PM6/30/21
to Joseph, Greg, cbiop...@googlegroups.com
Hi Greg,

Your understanding is correct.  Currently, we have no way to update an existing study.  The correct workflow would be to remove and then import with the updated data files.

Best,
Benjamin

Ekaterina Vansovich

Jan 24, 2023, 2:42:02 PM1/24/23
to cBioPortal for Cancer Genomics Discussion Group
Hey all,

I'd like to ask if there are any updates on it. Is there a way to update an existing study? This feature would be very handful :)

Best Regards
Ekaterina

Benjamin Gross

Jan 24, 2023, 10:13:17 PM1/24/23
to Ekaterina Vansovich, cBioPortal for Cancer Genomics Discussion Group
Hi Ekaterina,

Unfortunately, we have not had a chance to provide this behavior.

Best,
-Benjamin